Need some advice for a tarpaulin

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Need some advice for a tarpaulin
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stefan Schaller on Wednesday, July 29, 2015 - 06:44 pm:

Since many month we are working on the TT to get a tarpaulin on it.
All is made now I am looking for some advice.
Need some advice who could produce such a cover?
What color would you take. Thanks Stefan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Wednesday, July 29, 2015 - 07:01 pm:

Maybe a local canvas shop if there's one nearby. As for color...hard to say, tan maybe?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Wednesday, July 29, 2015 - 07:55 pm:

Stefan,

I would order an RV Class B or C car cover that
approximates the overall dimensions of your TT.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron in Central Massachusetts on Wednesday, July 29, 2015 - 08:31 pm:

He's looking for a tarpaulin for the stake body - like a covered wagon. Not a car cover.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron in Central Massachusetts on Wednesday, July 29, 2015 - 08:39 pm:

Stefan - Sie brauchen eine menge von Segeltuch und einer sehr geschickte Schneider. Farbe? Hell braun wuerde sehr gut aussiehen.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron in Central Massachusetts on Wednesday, July 29, 2015 - 08:40 pm:

Oder velleicht schwarz.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron in Central Massachusetts on Wednesday, July 29, 2015 - 08:57 pm:

Uebrigens, Ihr Lasteagen sieht fantastisch aus! Bin neidisch.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron in Central Massachusetts on Wednesday, July 29, 2015 - 09:01 pm:

Verdammte IPhone...sollte "vielleicht" und "Lastwagen" lesen.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Wednesday, July 29, 2015 - 09:53 pm:

Kein Schwartz. Hell braun is besser.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Wednesday, July 29, 2015 - 10:15 pm:

Stefan -- Contact a local company which makes awnings. They will be able to make you a top.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Wednesday, July 29, 2015 - 10:28 pm:

Figure out exactly what you want, make a drawing, buy the material and sew it yourself.

Or find a friend, neighbor or relative who is good with a sewing machine.

Or, to elaborate on what Tim Wrenn posted, find a local company that makes and repairs awnings, or boat covers or repairs tents, etc.

Examples of what we have in Minneapolis - they all do custom work:

http://harrismachinery.com

Harris above used to be THE PLACE for custom canvas work - there wasn't anything they couldn't do, but they seem to have cut back lately based on the last time I was there a few years ago.

http://www.hoigaardscustomcanvas.com

http://www.northcountrycanvas.com

http://www.bannercanvasmn.com

http://www.tarpsinc.com

http://polarbearcanvas.com

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Wednesday, July 29, 2015 - 11:02 pm:

Use a pearl gray cotton material. It is light green in color, lightweight, and water repellent. Our fold out camping trailer was topped with a 7' by 20' tent of this material. My wife and I sewed a new top section in the tent with her Adler home sewing machine. It was quite an adventure, a plain tarp would be quite simple. At the time it was available in a 54 inch width.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Thursday, July 30, 2015 - 12:18 am:

Stefan is in Switzerland, not USA.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By paul iverson freeport ill. on Thursday, July 30, 2015 - 01:37 am:

mabey you can find a used tent at a army surplus store?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stefan Schaller on Thursday, July 30, 2015 - 04:17 am:

Dave Switzerland is in central old Europe. Did you mean New Glarus is little Switzerland in WI. Thanks for all the advice and help. Mike it is hard to find good stores over her they are willing to make it. Erik I think I will for the cotton material. We made drawings so it will not so difficult to make it.
Thanks Stefan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Thursday, July 30, 2015 - 08:22 am:

Stefan

I have been to New Glarus in my Model T here in Wisconsin.

I have also been to Switzerland in Europe. I tried to get a job in Basel. My son will be in Zurich in a couple of weeks. He is going to University in Freiburg.

Good luck on getting a cover. The truck looks great.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stefan Schaller on Sunday, August 02, 2015 - 09:04 am:

So final we got the wood don to put a tarpaulin on it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stefan Schaller on Sunday, August 02, 2015 - 09:06 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Sunday, August 02, 2015 - 09:44 am:

How did you make the top bows? Are they steam bent?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stefan Schaller on Sunday, August 02, 2015 - 04:17 pm:

Hi Ted no hey are cut out by CNC

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration