Various vendors pricing

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Various vendors pricing
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William Goodheart, Edwards, NY on Thursday, July 30, 2015 - 09:22 am:

I need to order rear axle sleeves. Two respected and well known vendors. One has sleeves priced at $24.25 each, the other at $18.50 each. Is there a difference in quality? I normally believe "you get what you pay for", is that the case here?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, July 30, 2015 - 09:41 am:

My latest Chaffin's catalogue, 2010, lists them at $17.25. If that's your $18.50 source, I wouldn't worry about it. Glen is known for selling the best quality available. Lang's 2014 catalogue shows them at $16.95 with this note: Excellent quality sleeves, made according to the original Ford blueprints, duplicating the material, thickness, hardness, etc.. I wouldn't be afraid to buy from either one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Thursday, July 30, 2015 - 09:50 am:

You better update your catalogs. :-) Get ready for sticker shock on things like a generator, etc.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, July 30, 2015 - 09:54 am:

Now I'm curious about who your high-dollar dealer is. I just checked catalogues from Birdhaven, Bob's, Chaffin's, Lang's, Mac's, Smith & Jones, and Snyders. I didn't find any price over $19.95. Has one of them had a big price increase, or is it somebody else?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William Goodheart, Edwards, NY on Thursday, July 30, 2015 - 10:13 am:

My 2015 Lang's catalogue shows $24.25, The online price of $18.50 is Bob's. I looked at Chaffin's but thought shipping from California to NY would be more expensive.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson-Nicholasville, Kentucky on Thursday, July 30, 2015 - 10:32 am:

William
I suggest you forget WHO your buying from, reputations, claims of quality, cost and shipping charges.
More importantly become well very versed on the details of WHAT your buying from someone who knows what they are talking about, has experience and is not trying to sell you something.
The Model T hobby is paved with poor quality parts that do not last and rear axle sleeves are a prime example.
Ron the Coilman

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, July 30, 2015 - 10:46 am:

To buy, or not to buy,
That is the question.
Whether 'tis wiser to think of price,
Or ask the man who knows.
Aye, there's the rub.
How to know or find that man?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Thursday, July 30, 2015 - 11:29 am:

Steve, You disappoint me. When I started reading your last post, I thought I was going to read a nice poem that you had written.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, July 30, 2015 - 11:34 am:

Everybody's a critic. At least it's in iambic pentameter.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill dugger on Thursday, July 30, 2015 - 11:42 am:

Boy that Jelf Guy sure use's some big word/s like watermelon. Threeeeee cheers for Steve he's the Man.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George_Cherry Hill NJ on Thursday, July 30, 2015 - 12:14 pm:

That's right Bill...I had to look things up on that internet to see what Steve meant...

Maybe it is used to tune coils?????? Kind of looks that way :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ROBERT BERGSTADT on Thursday, July 30, 2015 - 12:54 pm:

The vendor that makes the good sleeves had a big price increase a few moths ago but the dealers are not notified until the re stock items, we just ordered a bunch more so unless they are ordered in the last 3 months they might still have old prices listed, that's the problem every time we have something made or restock you don't know the price till we get the bill, Bob 22.50 is our price after just getting them in this week Web site is being updated everyday and we will start adding more photos, as you know there are only three of us here

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William Goodheart, Edwards, NY on Thursday, July 30, 2015 - 02:35 pm:

Bob,
Thanks for the information, you have helped clear up the pricing issue. Is it better to place an order by telephone, to make sure I get up to date pricing. I have never ordered from you before but intend to.
Bill Goodheart

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul O'Neil, Fullerton, CA, USA on Thursday, July 30, 2015 - 02:47 pm:

I rarely bother to shop price. I call David at Chaffin's or Lang's and just order what is needed. I have found that often I need help to figure out some problem and I get help solving issues at these places. Help is worth a lot to me.

Vintage Paul

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Thursday, July 30, 2015 - 02:55 pm:

Steve, It's in WHAT?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Dufault on Thursday, July 30, 2015 - 03:35 pm:

Terry,

See what happens when Steve is not working on his house?

Lots of time to confuse us!!

i·am·bic pen·tam·e·ter

a line of verse with five metrical feet, each consisting of one short (or unstressed) syllable followed by one long (or stressed) syllable, for example Two households, both alike in dignity.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Thursday, July 30, 2015 - 04:04 pm:

You fellas keep writing and talking like this I'm going to have to put on a coat and tie just to read the forum!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Thursday, July 30, 2015 - 04:38 pm:

Dennis, I agree. I'm a college graduate and so is Steve, but he must have gone to Harvard or Cambridge.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, July 30, 2015 - 05:42 pm:

Not Harvard, not Cambridge. 79th Street & Vermont Avenue, 1960-1964 (before Malibu).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By arnie johansen on Thursday, July 30, 2015 - 05:45 pm:

In what state is that located Steve?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Thursday, July 30, 2015 - 06:11 pm:

The State of Confusion

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Spaziano, Bellflower, CA. on Thursday, July 30, 2015 - 07:41 pm:

Pepperdine University.

George built it selling loads of "Spurious Parts" to Model T owners from his chain of Western Auto Stores.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Thursday, July 30, 2015 - 08:28 pm:

Mike - Your choice of words,...."Spurious Parts",.....made me think of my Dad who has been gone now for 20 years. When I was a little kid, well, old enough to be working on bikes and such, a new Western Auto store opened up on Grand Ave, about a block and a half from the house where I grew up in suburban Chicago (Franklin Park). My Dad told me,....be careful what you buy there because a lot of what they sell is junk".

Not sure what in particular gave my Dad that opinion, but he did tell me that Western Auto Stores came about largely because of all of the "stuff" they sold for Model T Fords. I remember that a lot of the "stuff" had the brand name of "Wizzard",.......and frankly, a lot of it did look like junk. (Their bicycles sure were, but then I always compared bicycles to Schwinn, which in those days, were about the best for the money.) Something I've read on this forum in the past makes me think that they had a carburetor for Model "T's that was basically like an NH Holly, or maybe a Simmons. I'm guessing that they were prpbably alright,......harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Chaffin on Thursday, July 30, 2015 - 08:29 pm:

The sleeves currently being sold by most dealers including us are not bad but they are not being made to Fords print as advertised. The original Ford sleeves are hardened to C26. The new sleeves are C18. We had them tested then called the manufacturer but he was not interested in correcting the problem. The new bearings we have today are harder than Fords and we need a harder sleeve to go with them. The bearings are C60. We are trying to make a new batch of hardened sleeves. The last batch we made were C40 and sold like hot cakes. Never had a complaint or failure. A new batch is in the works along with our 40 tooth Ruckstell ring gear..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, July 31, 2015 - 01:21 am:

Pepperdine college colors: Blue & orange. Coincidence? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John T. Tannehill III, Hot Coffee, MS on Friday, July 31, 2015 - 07:58 am:

Should have cleared the shelf before taking the picture. You're about to get a bunch of emails. Ha

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, July 31, 2015 - 10:13 am:

Glen's shop, not mine. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Friday, July 31, 2015 - 10:16 am:

Steve always uses those 6 cylinder words just to confuse us 4 cylinder guys............. I keep google at the ready whenever I start reading a Jelfism.

just sayin'

brasscarguy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Friday, July 31, 2015 - 10:57 am:

Ron Pattersons advice is the best one on this thread.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Chaffin on Friday, July 31, 2015 - 01:17 pm:

I found the Western Auto sign in the alley behind the old Western Auto store in Corona when they were tearing down the old buildings. It was going to the dump. The building was the old Ford agency building. They found several brass radiators in the attic but I heard about it too late. They did go to scrap.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William Goodheart, Edwards, NY on Saturday, August 01, 2015 - 09:34 am:

Thanks to everyone for all the advice. I am still not sure what I will order for sleeves. I found the explanation of the hardness of the sleeves from Glen Chaffin and the advice from Ron Patterson very helpful.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration