1927 BATTERY BOX RIVETS

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: 1927 BATTERY BOX RIVETS
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By BRENT MIZE on Thursday, July 30, 2015 - 09:42 am:

Does the 27 battery box carrier have 3 rivets or is one of the holes used for the ground strap? I am restoring the chassis right now, and one of the rivets is absent.
Thanks for your help
Brent

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Thursday, July 30, 2015 - 09:57 am:

There was a discussion about that earlier this year. I've bumped the thread so it's easier to find at the top - it's called "26 battery bracket rivited?"
The conclusion was that on 26/27 T's the bracket was held by rivets on the RH side and the left front, but the left rear was a bolt that doubled as the ground connection.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By BRENT MIZE on Thursday, July 30, 2015 - 09:58 am:

Thanks Roger!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Thursday, July 30, 2015 - 11:12 am:

It's better to just add a link to the old thread. A bump can still cause the old thread to fall off the page and/or get separated from this thread. And people coming back later will have a hard time finding the old thread.

Old thread:
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/506218/511713.html?1438264263

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Thursday, July 30, 2015 - 11:20 am:

As I recall, the rivet on the passenger side is a bigger diameter than that on the left. Doesn't make sense. Also note the arm that goes to the right side is slightly bend to clear the muffler.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Menzies on Friday, July 31, 2015 - 11:16 am:

I have an original as found Canadian 26 and the battery carrier unit is riveted together, the carrier strap is riveted to the top frame and the frame is riveted together. The riveted assembly is bolted to the car frame. There are two bolts on the drivers side and one bolt on the passengers side. The arm that reaches the passengers side is straight. The battery carrier is bolted on the car frame with castelled nuts and cotter pins, the bolts are inserted from the inside and the nuts are on the outside of the frame. On the drivers side between the two main bolts there is a 3/8 hole in the frame for the ground strap. The ground strap is 7 inches long and will not fit any where else, the strap is round with an open braid.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Friday, July 31, 2015 - 03:26 pm:

I checked an authentic battery box carrier yesterday, and both rivets are 3/8. My memory is fading!

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration