Henry’s 4th Door

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Henry’s 4th Door
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chuck Lebeda, Humboldt, SD on Thursday, July 30, 2015 - 11:45 am:

First time I have owned a modern T; 1926 touring. So I climbed in the car through the front door on the driver’s side. Big pain to do so. Not sure why Henry even put this door in? I will mostly enter in through the front passenger side; unless I grow smaller in my old age.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Wetherbee - Downeast Maine on Thursday, July 30, 2015 - 01:01 pm:

You need a "folding wheel" (aka "fat mans wheel") - I have one in my Fordor and it is the only way that door is of any use

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Thursday, July 30, 2015 - 01:10 pm:

It works pretty well when the top is down. You just stand on the running board and swing in your right leg with your butt over the door post. Then scoot your butt down and past the steering wheel. It is harder when the top is up because then you need to bend over in the middle while you do it. The door on the Model A Phaeton was wider and much easier to enter. I wonder why Henry didn't widen the T door. Since the 26-27 was a new body style it would have been an easy thing to do.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chuck Lebeda, Humboldt, SD on Thursday, July 30, 2015 - 01:28 pm:

It is mainly the brake/high gear lever that is in the way. I will keep working on it. Thanks for the hints. Mark; we’re headed to Maine in a few weeks. Really like Maine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert G. Hester Jr., Riverview, FL on Thursday, July 30, 2015 - 01:31 pm:

The extra door is handy when tinkering with the transmission linkage, starter bendix, etc.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ryan Fenrich on Thursday, July 30, 2015 - 01:52 pm:

Living in Canada, pretty much every T that I see has the 4th door. When I climbed behind the wheel of a 1926 that I recently saw, it was a challenge. My knees kept banging the wheel. The top was down, and it even had a 1916 wheel to make it that much easier. I will stick to the passenger side door if and when I get my own car!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chuck Lebeda, Humboldt, SD on Thursday, July 30, 2015 - 04:40 pm:

Robert; that is true, it was easier to work on from the drivers door.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jem Bowkett, Bracknell United Kingdom on Thursday, July 30, 2015 - 05:14 pm:

I used to do wedding hire in a Rolls which had the drivers door firmly bolted shut. Previous owner had fallen over the gearlever when getting out and broke his arm.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Greg Whaley, Caledon Ontario Canada on Thursday, July 30, 2015 - 06:05 pm:

Chuck - all Canadian cars had the 4th door - some of these cars went to Australia where they where right hand drive.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Thursday, July 30, 2015 - 06:30 pm:

Unless I am on a major slope and need the parking brake on, I tend to park with the handbrake forward as I find that engine compression holds the car real good and it relieves the tension on the clutch spring. Would doing that give you enough room? I can't comment further because my car is an American model. I've never sat in the drivers seat of a Canadian or improved model.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chuck Lebeda, Humboldt, SD on Thursday, July 30, 2015 - 07:44 pm:

Greg: that makes sense, as now you have a universal body; just put the steering column on whichever side you want?

Dave: that will help, I’ll give it a try. It was just awkward for my first time.

Thanks,

Chuck

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas Mullin on Thursday, July 30, 2015 - 10:48 pm:

Chuck,

Maybe you should try Murray Fahnestock's way of getting into his Model T:

Murray

Of course, this works best with the top down.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chuck Lebeda, Humboldt, SD on Sunday, August 02, 2015 - 09:00 pm:

Thomas: Looks like I could HURT myself jumping in that way?

Chuck

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Wetherbee - Downeast Maine on Monday, August 03, 2015 - 12:12 pm:

Chuck - What part of Maine, and which weekend? Our annual "Mainely T Tour" is from September 9TH thru the 13th in the Boothbay region - if your around then look us up...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Zachary Dillinger - Charlotte, MI on Monday, August 03, 2015 - 01:08 pm:

I have a '26 touring as well, and I never get in through the driver's door. I've got long legs (6'5') and I can't figure out how to fold in around the brake lever. So I just enter through the passenger door and all is well.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration