Been lucky twice now - Need to Pay More Attention!

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Been lucky twice now - Need to Pay More Attention!
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Thursday, July 30, 2015 - 11:51 am:

I have a 2 1/2 gallon gas can in my garage that I use to top off my T after a drive, so I seldom stop at any of the local gas stations in the T.

I also make a habit of leaving the parking brake handle forward (high gear position) and chocking the wheels when my T is parked in the garage.

On the way home on today's morning drive, I decided to stop at a local station for gas. I pulled up to the pump, pumped my gas, checked the spark and throttle levers, and turned the key. The engine chuffed and the car tried to roll forwards! Luckily, the engine didn't catch - I had forgotten to set the parking brake and left the car in high gear!

Just another reminder to myself to have a mental checklist and follow it every time.... :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Hood -Long Beach, California on Thursday, July 30, 2015 - 12:21 pm:

I always set the parking brake. That is what it is for!I don't buy in to the bit about weakening the clutch spring. Do you jack up your car and let the wheels hang so your suspension doesn't sag? Do you pull the valve covers and back off the valve springs when you park?

Be careful though, I have had a few "well meaning" old timers release my brake for me "to protect my spring" when my car is parked on a tour. I always check the handle before starting.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Thursday, July 30, 2015 - 12:29 pm:

And if you develop the habit of always squeezing the handle to lift the pawl as you pull the emergency brake lever back, and then release it when the lever is all the way back, it'll be a long time before you have to sharpen the pawl, and the quadrant will last about forever!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Thursday, July 30, 2015 - 12:30 pm:

I have also read that leaving the car parked in gear all the time takes the dish out of the clutch discs?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Thursday, July 30, 2015 - 12:32 pm:

The idea of moving the brake lever forward is to squeeze the oil from between the disks so that when you pull it ON and engage the starter, there is less drag!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Thursday, July 30, 2015 - 12:40 pm:

Tony - Exactly right! And really not much of a concern in CA where you live and of course further south, but much more important in northern climates where the cold, stiff oil between disks makes much more of a difference, right?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Thursday, July 30, 2015 - 12:42 pm:

Dan - I thought Ford clutch discs were flat,....???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Thursday, July 30, 2015 - 01:23 pm:

"The idea of moving the brake lever forward is to squeeze the oil from between the disks..."

Wouldn't that just make them all stick together? If you leave them uncompressed, the oil can drain out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Baker on Thursday, July 30, 2015 - 01:49 pm:

My brake lever was in the forward position for 69 years and the clutch didn't get stuck.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Schedler, Sacramento on Thursday, July 30, 2015 - 02:25 pm:

Tony, I've always wondered it what you say has ever been proven. I always have forward creep when starting a cold T engine regardless of lever position. With Watts discs there is no creep.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Schedler, Sacramento on Thursday, July 30, 2015 - 02:48 pm:

Even in Wisconsin

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Thursday, July 30, 2015 - 03:16 pm:

Harold, Ford clutch discs have a very slight dish to them when they are new. I am not sure about the following statement, so some one please correct me if Im wrong, but I believe the large discs are flat and the small discs have the slight dish to them. (that way there is no "wrong way" to install the parts in relation to dish). My grandpa taught me an old trick he did to his Ts. He would take his worn discs that had flattened out or worn away the dish and dimple them. He would lay the disc on a piece of flat oak lumber with the dish up (or the side that used to have the dish), and "hit" it with the ball of a ball pein hammer in five different locations around the disc. Just enough to give a "slight" dish or dimple to the disc. I did it on my first T that I built. All I had was worn out stuff to work with, and Grandpa to guide me. It worked like a charm. That engine was built in the late 1980s and is still going ... has sold to 3 different owners since I had it ... I am not recommending it to anyone, just pointing out what can be done with old worn parts, As they say "your mileage may vary" :-)

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration