Happy Birthday Henry

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Happy Birthday Henry
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Thursday, July 30, 2015 - 06:06 pm:

July 30, 1863

Born: July 30, 1863, Greenfield Township, Michigan
Died: April 7, 1947, Fair Lane, Dearborn, MI
Education: Detroit Business Institute
Spouse: Clara Ala Bryant (m. 18881947)
Children: Edsel Ford

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Thursday, July 30, 2015 - 09:28 pm:

Happy Birthday ol' boy! Took my '20 Runabout out for a spin today to celebrate. Great ride!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Thursday, July 30, 2015 - 11:09 pm:

I gave my 31-year-old son his first Model T driving lesson today. I didn't realize it was Henry's birthday, but that makes it even more special. He's been away in the Service, so he hasn't been around T's much until now. He really enjoyed the experience; I think he's hooked. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Thursday, July 30, 2015 - 11:27 pm:

Henry and I share the same b/day so I am always reminded of his day.

just sayin'

brasscarguy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Friday, July 31, 2015 - 03:14 am:

The big hunk of cast iron in my 19 T became a motor on Henry's birthday.

I tried to feed it a piece of cake bit it just looked at me so I ate it.
Next year I'll offer it ice cream and cake.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Friday, July 31, 2015 - 08:33 am:

A single man CAN change the world

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Zachary Dillinger - Charlotte, MI on Friday, July 31, 2015 - 09:33 am:

I finished restoring my '26 chassis yesterday and dedicated it to Mr. Ford. Lots of work to go, but it sure was fun to have a major milestone fall on such an important date.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Zachary Dillinger - Charlotte, MI on Friday, July 31, 2015 - 10:03 am:

Here's a picture of the chassis mentioned in the above post.

t chassis restored

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Friday, July 31, 2015 - 07:25 pm:

It looks great, Zach. All you lack is finishing up! :-)

BTW, I can't see the spindles, but with that amount of camber, you must have pre-'26 spindles on it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Barrett in Auburn Ca. on Friday, July 31, 2015 - 09:26 pm:

Mike,
I am not sure the late spindles had different camber, I think they just lower the front end about 3/4". Please educate us if I am in error.
We could all get together and sing Happy Birthday to Henry but we would likely get sued by the Warner Co. They hold the copyright on the tune, I just learned.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Friday, July 31, 2015 - 09:47 pm:

Erik -- The earlier spindles have about 50% more camber than the '26-7 ones. I expect someone else will provide the actual numbers.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Zachary Dillinger - Charlotte, MI on Friday, July 31, 2015 - 09:57 pm:

I think the camber is excessive because the wishbone is just hanging, allowing the axle to twist and changing the geometry. Before I pulled the car apart, the camber was within spec per the MTFCA book on building axles and I haven't changed anything since then (axles were rebuilt before pulling apart). I expect it will be fine when I put the engine back in.

Thanks for the kind words! It was a lot of work but it will be worth every minute.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Zachary Dillinger - Charlotte, MI on Friday, July 31, 2015 - 10:12 pm:

I just went out and took a picture of the spindle and a rear view with the wishbone propped up to a more realistic position. It looks ok to me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Barrett in Auburn Ca. on Saturday, August 01, 2015 - 12:57 am:

Mike, thanks for the info. Never noticed this before, I am looking forward to comparing them on the bench. Was the idea that the 21" balloon tires needed less camber I wonder? Never cease to learn on this forum.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Saturday, August 01, 2015 - 08:06 am:

Erik -- Yes, that was the idea.

Zach -- That is a pre-'26 spindle in your picture. Your car will drive better with the correct ones.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Zachary Dillinger - Charlotte, MI on Saturday, August 01, 2015 - 01:13 pm:

Mike, many thanks for helping with this. I attended the Gilmore Car Museum's "Red Barn Spectacular" this morning and picked up what was purported to be a pair of 26-27 spindles to replace the ones currently on my car. I had no idea that these ones were wrong and I really appreciate you pointing it out.

Do these look right? I'd like to make sure before installing a new set of spindle bushings / etc.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Saturday, August 01, 2015 - 02:29 pm:

Yes, those are the correct ones. I think you'll notice a lot less camber with those on your car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Zachary Dillinger - Charlotte, MI on Saturday, August 01, 2015 - 02:48 pm:

Great, thanks! Sorry for derailing the Happy Birthday Henry thread everyone.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration