New at changing tires.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: New at changing tires.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Harrison on Thursday, July 30, 2015 - 09:59 pm:

I'm working on a family owned 1925 Model T. The process of changing tires has me mentally exhausted. I've read many posts in the forums and watched a number of videos.

The tires are 4.50/4.50 x 21. So far I've had to cut off the first old tire. In attempts to put on the new tire I've tried installing it while on the car and then removing the rim and trying on the ground. I seem to able to get roughly 90% of one side of the new tire on the rim, but the last 10% is way too tight to get over the rim. I've used baby powder, soap and left the tire in the sun, but no go.

What other ideas/options are there without disconnecting the split rim?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Thursday, July 30, 2015 - 10:07 pm:

Go see Dave Houston,and see if he will sell/loan you a split rim tool and ask for some help.I may not have Dave's name spelled right.)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mike_black SC/FL on Thursday, July 30, 2015 - 10:29 pm:

Kevin, just split the rim--that's why they made it that way. I've always been able to put the rim back together with a screwdriver--it'd probably be a real piece of cake with the split rim jack!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Thursday, July 30, 2015 - 10:29 pm:

Kevin, 21" split rims require some sort of tool to pull the rim in. Then the assembled tyre, tube and flap is more or less a drop on fit. The better tools will then help push the rim back out so the latch can be closed.

Hope this helps.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Zibell, Huntsville, AL on Thursday, July 30, 2015 - 10:32 pm:

I cheat a bit. The tires that were on my T had been on over 40 years. To break the bead I needed a sliding bead hammer that is used for big truck tires (just so happens I have one). To remove and install a new was relatively easy as I also do motorcycle work and have a Coats 220 tire machine. The machine rim clamp compresses the split rum enough and using tire tools ( big bar), removal and install is a breeze. I only needed a three leg expanding tool to reset the split rim to set the lock.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas Mullin on Thursday, July 30, 2015 - 10:32 pm:

Call Dave Huson, in Berthoud, CO. That is about ten miles from you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Harrison on Thursday, July 30, 2015 - 11:37 pm:

Thanks for the quick replies everyone.

I've read some people discourage use of the split rim jack. (If you don't know how to use it, you could damage the rim) Instead they made their own device/setup.

I'll definitely get a hold of Dave. Had no idea there was someone so close by.

Thanks again.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willis Jenkins on Friday, July 31, 2015 - 08:15 am:

Using the split rim jack made putting on the tires a snap for me! It sounds like you may have damaged the tire bead if you were applying too much force on it?

Willis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Friday, July 31, 2015 - 11:32 am:

Correct Willis.

That balloon tire 21" has solid bead, it cannot be stretched over ANY rim.

That tire can be ruined by stretching and its just impossible to do it over a rim.

The straight sided split rim must be collapsed to allow the tire to fit. Using a tool of is necessary, even if the tool is home made. The rim latch is released and rim collapsed on itself, and the tire mounted. The rim then must be pulled back in a circle and then clamped again.

Or...if wire wheels, those are 'drop center' rim more like a modern wheel, you put one bead on and then drop it down, and the other side bead can be slipped over the wire wheel rim.

Drop center wire wheel

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Sole - Castelldefels (Spain) on Saturday, August 01, 2015 - 03:13 am:

The Instruction Book (Owner's Manual) describes how to remove the tire from the split rim without any special tools. Mounting is done with only a tire iron or screwdriver which would explain the need for the flap! Experience in this procedure would surely be a plus. Pictures would also have been helpful... the only ones offered are for the "new" drop center wire wheels.

New tires, tubes and flaps are in my near future. I have a rim spreader but just for "fun" before using it I'll try the Ford recommended method and see what happens!

(Message edited by esole on August 01, 2015)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John C Codman on Saturday, August 01, 2015 - 10:47 am:

I'll agree with Mike Black. All I have needed was a couple of big screwdrivers. I didn't even know there was such a tool as a split rim jack. Now I know how one of my T's rims got destroyed.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration