1915 Touring seat back spring mounting

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: 1915 Touring seat back spring mounting
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By VRayFoster on Friday, July 31, 2015 - 06:46 pm:

My car was restored about 60 years ago long before the availability of parts and information. I plan on installing new upholstery. The front springs, back cushion was mounted on a horizontal piece of curved wood forcing the springs to be curved. Does anyone know how the front springs should be attached to the seat back, and what that might look like if a photo is available.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Saturday, August 01, 2015 - 02:26 pm:

These may help. The backrest spring is usually hung by fabric strips or loops stapled to the wood rail.

This original '15 backrest spring is showing through the tears in the old seat material.

1915 touring bodies at the factory

1920 era seat back spring, cardboard behind as an anti-rattle.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By VRayFoster on Sunday, August 02, 2015 - 04:11 pm:

Thanks for the pics. My car is very late 15, and uses metal for some of the parts instead of wood as the factory pics show. However, a close look at the seat back and it is straight! Mine is curved! I suspect the wood has warped after 60 years of people riding in it and the seat needs a bit of correcting. I thought as much as it didn't seem reasonable for the cushion back springs to have a curve in it. Now I see a pic showing what I had thought might be the correct position. Again, thanks for the response.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration