OT- Vintage headlight research

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: OT- Vintage headlight research
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By The Head Light Lens Guy in California on Friday, July 31, 2015 - 09:08 pm:

I have been researching headlights since I acquired hundreds of 1910-1930's headlights.

I was thinking sometime I could post some of my findings...

Up until today when I read about the "new" headlight laws from the 1920 I thought: "Well I wonder if they are still on the books."

Today I found this article for approved headlights from Virginia.
http://www.vsp.state.va.us/downloads/VA_Motor_Vehicle_Approved_Equipment_List/11 _Headlamp.pdf

Thankfully the "Ford H" is included:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By The Head Light Lens Guy in California on Friday, July 31, 2015 - 09:15 pm:

Perhaps my post is a bit of a confusing starting point of a thread. Here is the context:

In the late 1920s states started to regulate headlights and only approve some headlights/lenses... The main concern was lights that would shine in the eyes of other drivers and/or not light the road significantly.

I imagine most(original) lens were permanently separated from their vehicle. So now if someone restores a car and there is a very studied* Highway Patrol that catches a antique car with the wrong lens he/she could give you a hard time:-)

Enjoy Driving,
Matthew

*unlikely

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Friday, July 31, 2015 - 09:52 pm:

Ford provided clear lenses on cars through the 1920 model year. Then they added an "eyebrow" of green paint to the clear glass lenses in the 1921 model year. For '22, they came out with the Ford H lens, which was fluted vertically and which they used through the remainder of Model T production.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Friday, July 31, 2015 - 11:33 pm:

Interesting, note that "Hudson" is listed after Ford H. Hudson is an aftermarket lens for T headlights (I have a set on my '25).
Also note under "complete headlamps" is "Woodlite" which is a very unique aftermarket lamp that some claim is not much better than a candle. The bulb resides in the top part of the lamp housing, and the lens is a narrow pupil-type lens. The theory being that it would not project into oncoming drivers. Unfortunately, I'm told it doesn't project much at all! :-) But they do look really cool!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By The Head Light Lens Guy in California on Sunday, August 02, 2015 - 04:17 pm:

David,
I wonder if the "Ford H" actually stood for the Hudson model lens. They look exactly the same except the markings. Is that possible?

Matthew

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Sunday, August 02, 2015 - 07:56 pm:

Hmmmm, GOOD Question, you may have found the answer! I'm no expert on lenses, except the ones I wear on my face! :-)
And yes, I wish that was my car in the photo!

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration