Should a new guy be scared of a vaporizer?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Should a new guy be scared of a vaporizer?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Kesling on Saturday, August 01, 2015 - 07:15 am:

Looking at a running 26 that has a vaporizer. Being totally new is this an item to think about or is it just one more item to learn about?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Saturday, August 01, 2015 - 07:52 am:

They work fine. Drive and enjoy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Saturday, August 01, 2015 - 08:58 am:

They work but have more issues than the tired and true NH. Hard starting when cold and less power being among the issues. I have tried several of them on my '27 and finally gave up and switched to an NH. I would not be afraid of one but would be aware of their limitations. I try to run all my cars with the correct original equipment but the performance issues with the NH wore me down. I have lots of hills in the area where I keep my '27 and could not pull the hills in high with the Vaporizer. I can pull the same hills with the NH and for me that was the determining factor! Frankly, from my experience, I think that people who are satisfied running a Vaporizor have just not had the chance to compare them to the NH. On the flip side, I got numerous free starts with the Vaporizer when the car was warmed up and a nice smooth low idle.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Saturday, August 01, 2015 - 09:08 am:

On the contrary Val, I have tried both. I find the Vaporizer started great hot or cold, and would give endless free starts. It may be slightly down on power, but I would like to see a back to back comparison on a chassis dyno using the same car to tell how much. Both the vaporizer and the NH are ridiculously simple to overhaul. Both run great if in good condition.

My hunch is that the NH seems more powerful because the intake is pointed right at the passenger compartment, so it is louder, giving the illusion of more power. The intake on the vaporizer is pointed at the hood side so you don't get the noise directly, making it seem to be less powerful.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Saturday, August 01, 2015 - 10:06 am:

Robert,

I read a couple of your postings again and I may have missed it, but are you asking about the "27 Tudor but its to far gone to make it a viable driver at this time. Maybe in a few years after some parts collecting" you mentioned at: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/506218/554248.html?1436311226 Or have you obtained or are you thinking about obtaining another T, this one a 1926?

A good vaporizer set up would work fine on either car. But if the set up is not already in good shape, it will probably take a little more work to get it back into good shape verses the earlier carburetor type.

While not as controversial as what type of oil, bands, etc. to use in your T, opinions vary about the vaporizer.

From the thread at: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/118802/133126.html?1270510260 Tom Mullin posted: "In theory there is no difference between Theory and Practice. In practice, there is." - Yogi Berra

And on that same thread Roger Karlsson posted: Who told you the vaporizer is the best? Henry Ford in 1927?

One reason for introducing them was the bad gasoline available in the 20's - partly kerosene with a low octane rating.

Today we have better gas & can upgrade the Ford with higher compression & another carburator - if we want - without risking starting problems or knocks.

Ken Kopsy summarise most folks opinion in one sentence in this thread: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/29/27744.html

"They're great carbs when working correctly but there's a reason Ford didn't continue the Vaporizer into the Model A--They rarely work correctly ;) "

And Trent Boggess posted on the same thread:
My experience with a vaporizer carburetor on our '26 coupe is very similar to Chris Baker's above. I also found that the gas mileage was far better with a vaporizer as compared to an NH, and there was a much greater propensity to burn up exhaust valves if the mixture was kept too lean.

I also found that an NH with the stock Model T manifold setup gave much more power than the NH.

As is it is often said in my profession, "There is no such thing as a free lunch".

Respectfully Submitted,

Trent Boggess

++++

Back to Hap: You also mentioned you wanted to keep the car as original as practical. The vaporizer did not replace all the normal carbs in production until around the 1927 model year. See: http://mtfca.com/encyclo/C-D.htm#Carb1

Also: http://mtfca.com/encyclo/doc26.htm
JUL 24, 1926 Letter to dealers from Fargo branch
"After extensive tests we have adopted the Holley Vaporizer for Ford cars and trucks.

SEP 8, 1926 Letter to dealers from Fargo branch)
"The Vaporizer now used on the Ford car is so designed that efficient operation is secured from the engine even though low grade fuels are used. Some of these low grade fuels have a tendency, however, to carbonize the hot plate, which condition is indicated by a lower warming up of the engine and the need for a richer mixture. When this is noticed, the hot plate should be taken out and the carbon removed.

My own thoughts If you are only looking that the Ford supplied carbs, I would recommend to keep it simple and just use an NH, unless you have a 1927 and you really want to keep it stock.

Please let us know or let us know again if you have both a 1927 and 1926 or only one car. Good luck and thanks.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wilson, Saint John NB, Canada on Saturday, August 01, 2015 - 10:49 am:

I have a Canadian 27 with the original vaporizer. No problems except the plate burned through once. I keep a spare on hand so no problem. You should keep the spare in the car as the car will die if the plate burns through. Car starts easily and will free start on occassion. Can't comment on power as I have nothing to compare to.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Saturday, August 01, 2015 - 12:10 pm:

Put my T on Tom Graham and Charlie Volkenng's Dyno Machine on tour a couple of years ago. He brought the set up to Branson Tour this year also.

Note the T right above mine, a vaporizer equipped, he beat me in HP at rear wheels! My T had NH carb, and Z head.

Goes to show a vaporizer T will go too!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Barker, Somerset, England on Saturday, August 01, 2015 - 12:13 pm:

My car starts fine cold if I turn it 2 revs (4 compressions) with the choke pulled, and then push the choke home and turn on the ignition.
If I don't do that, it will never start!

It pulls fine up hills in high......for a while, but I have an impression that power drops off on a long hill. I have wondered whether the exhaust manifold, and hence the fuel, just get too hot on a long climb.

Otherwise, it idles well and responds to opening the throttle without hesitation. Runs out of breath at about 1800rpm (15 in low)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Kesling on Saturday, August 01, 2015 - 07:42 pm:

Thank you all for the information. I have the rough 27' in the barn for a parts/maybe someday car. I have not bought another yet and may still pursue a few from members here who have send a information on them. I did find an all original 26 Fordor that runs and drives. It belongs to a distant friend. I had known of it for a long time, along with 3-4 A's that he has. Never wanted to sell, now its at auctions along with a the A's and a few others. I think he didn't want to sell to any single person as you always get the "why did you sell it me, id would have paid more". New each has the same shot if they want one bad enough. If it falls within the cash on hand I plan to pick it up, if not Ill keep saving the Benjamin's until I can follow up on some of those offered here. Thank you all again, this is truly a treasure chest.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Sunday, August 02, 2015 - 11:34 pm:

I tried many either they work good or they work ok or not at all not a perfromance part
They work best when warmed up

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David L Corman on Monday, August 03, 2015 - 10:42 am:

My 27 coupe has a Vaporizer that has been flawless on 9 of the Florida Winter tours held in Feb/March of each year. It gets much better gas mileage to boot. It starts and runs great whether engine is hot or cold.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration