Exhaust wrap

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Exhaust wrap
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Elliott on Saturday, August 01, 2015 - 07:34 pm:

I decided to wrap my exhaust from the pack nut to the muffler with high temp header wrap to keep the heat down in my T. However, after it gets hot the wrap starts smoking and smells pretty bad. I can also see that the wrap is turning kind of brown. Is this normal?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Plank - Three Way, TN on Saturday, August 01, 2015 - 08:06 pm:

Yes. The wrap will smoke pretty bad for a few minutes. Mine turned from black to a light gray color. Once it burns off it becomes very brittle and will break off pieces if you bump it with anything.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Doolittle on Saturday, August 01, 2015 - 10:18 pm:

After the stink goes away, your passengers will love it!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Sunday, August 02, 2015 - 12:11 pm:

My black Autozone wrap gave off a funny smell then turned grey when heated. It did not get brittle. In fact I reused part of it when I changed the motor.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Constantine in Australia on Sunday, August 02, 2015 - 01:54 pm:

Best header wraps are made from basalt fiber; see:

http://www.heatshieldproducts.com/lava-exhaust-wrap

http://www.compositesworld.com/articles/basalt-fibers-alternative-to-glass

Plus you can tell people you have your exhaust wrapped in lava..."just how Henry would have wanted it to be."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Zahorik on Sunday, August 02, 2015 - 04:51 pm:

I purchased what is called 'Header Wrap'. The hot rodders use this stuff and it is pretty good quality. Mine is four years old and has not failed yet. I got it at Speedway Motors, it was about $50, but worth it. The reason I use it that while touring during the summer, the inside of my TuDor gets rather hot. This wrap has reduced the inside temperature from blazing to tolerable. Mike

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration