1914 Roll up rear window

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: 1914 Roll up rear window
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Elliott on Saturday, August 01, 2015 - 09:41 pm:

Can someone post some pictures of the roll up rear window for the 1913/14 Touring car? I know the rear window is in three pieces, but how many brass fasteners are supposed to be on each? If someone has put a new Classtique top on their 1914 Touring recently, I'd love to see some photos! I just received mine and will probably be putting it on next week but I'm a bit confused on how the three rear window pieces go together.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Saturday, August 01, 2015 - 09:56 pm:

Bill

Here is an earlier post on the subject of rear curtain on 1914.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/29/33554.html?1185740105

and 1913:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/331880/365994.html?1370529377

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Sunday, August 02, 2015 - 12:52 am:

Be very careful of the photos you look at, and don't pay any attention to Car Touche stuff unless you want to get it wrong! I would suggest looking at original photos taken way back.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Sunday, August 02, 2015 - 04:41 pm:

This is actually a 1913, but the top with roll up rear curtain should be made like this for either year:

Original 1913 for comparison sake:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Sunday, August 02, 2015 - 04:44 pm:

The loops that hold the roll in place are inside the car when not being used:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Monday, August 03, 2015 - 10:49 am:

Not to find fault, but if you want to get things correct, refer to the photo above. First, the roll up straps do not have an eyelet in them. They had a slit with a small round hole through the leather.
Next, the brass buckles for the end straps on each side are not brass! They are black painted steel.
I'm sure Royce will agree with me on this.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gerald Hansen on Monday, August 03, 2015 - 03:00 pm:

I use roll ups on two twenty three's, one a Touring the other a Roadster. I can see with inside rear view mirror the traffic behind me plus I believe it eliminates to a point the parachute effect of the wind trapped inside of the top. I feel much more comfortable being able to see what is coming behind me, if I see coming some potential jerk setting up a rear end hit it gives me a little edge on stomping down on low hopefully if impacted it will be less, also gives me chance to go right or left out of the jerks path. This has happened more than once have no idea if a hit was coming the important thing--no hit. Also lot easier to see when reversing. Removed the back curtain sent to Classtique came back perfect fit. Also have habit whether modern or T to stay at least two car lengths back at traffic light or stop sign for the edge

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Monday, August 03, 2015 - 07:01 pm:

Larry is correct, and I want to add, that from 1912 on all the common sense fasteners were black painted brass originally. My straps came from Vince Iaccono just the way you see them, so I used them that way.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration