ON COUNTING CARS!

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: ON COUNTING CARS!
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mike copperthite on Saturday, August 01, 2015 - 09:55 pm:

COUNTING CARS
GARY COOPER

Here she is bought new by our family 101 years ago and doing community and charitable service before she retires to the Smithsonian.. Thank you to all the folks who make her go! Ask for, Insist Upon, and Accept No Other!

http://youtu.be/SJjWhm1jL2o

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Vowell, Sylmar, CA on Saturday, August 01, 2015 - 11:32 pm:

Question, why is the Smithsonian interested in this vehicle...is it the body? Is it the most complete and authentic "Pie Wagon" body around still owned by the original owners family? Because looking under the hood, there is nothing correct in there, except that it's a Model T engine. The headlights appear to be gas, but with halogen bulbs.

You planning on putting it all back to the way Henry built it before it goes to the Smithsonian so it will be all correct? Just wondering.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mike conrad on Sunday, August 02, 2015 - 12:23 am:

Martin, "Ask for, insist upon, and accept no other!" Lol!!! He's selling us pies!
Nice model T truck, but no comment beyond that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mike copperthite on Sunday, August 02, 2015 - 07:19 am:

Relax folks you can only be a know it all if you know it all. How many of your T's have been in continuous service for 101 years. And still used today. When it finally is out up it will be correct. Even Neil Armstrong's space suit is not as it was in 1969 on the moon.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Vaughn - Lincoln, NE on Sunday, August 02, 2015 - 07:56 am:

Congratulations Mike, what an honor!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Sunday, August 02, 2015 - 08:44 am:

Guy has a nice pie wagon, correct or not

(Message edited by adminchris on August 04, 2015)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John McGinnis in San Jose area, CA. on Sunday, August 02, 2015 - 02:29 pm:

Maybe it doesn't belong in the Smithsonian... what does that *pie wagon* represent? Besides self promotion.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Sunday, August 02, 2015 - 02:58 pm:

If someone has a car that they feel belongs in the Smithsonian more than Mike's, donate it! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Sunday, August 02, 2015 - 03:14 pm:

If you donate something to the Smithsonian they will take it. They may sell it if they don't see the need to display it.

It's a nice gesture on Mike's part either way.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Sunday, August 02, 2015 - 03:28 pm:

It's cool. The hoods will probably be closed and 96% of the folks that see it won't know the affore mentioned s**t from shinola any way.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Sunday, August 02, 2015 - 06:42 pm:

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the post.

Nice looking pie wagon .... :-)

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Vowell, Sylmar, CA on Monday, August 03, 2015 - 04:32 am:

Yes it is a nice looking, but is it a pie wagon or tradesman's van...didn't see any shelves in the rear for pies and I'm pretty sure they didn't leave them on the floor back there to slide about. Hope you saved the original shelving or racks, or at least have the plans for them, would make a nice display for the Smithsonian I would think. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By keith g barrier Savannah Tn. on Monday, August 03, 2015 - 06:25 am:

Rough, rough crowd. Very nice wagon. KGB

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jon Crane on Monday, August 03, 2015 - 07:50 am:

Martin
Yes it has pie racks for the back.
I was fortunate enough to score a blueberry pie at the Old Car Festival last September and a pumpkin pie at Hershey. Good eating!

The truck is a beautiful restoration of an authentic T owned by a very pleasant and ethical guy.

The Smithsonian will be lucky to get the T pie wagon as they already have his earlier horse drawn pie wagon on display.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron in Central Massachusetts on Monday, August 03, 2015 - 08:21 am:

Wow - I sometimes forget about the unhealthy segment of truly petty, nasty individuals who roost on this forum and get their jollies by needlessly sniping at others. Then a thread like this comes along and reminds me that they are out there. Sad, twisted bunch. The entire Model T world is in awe of your expertise gentlemen - well done. Now go back, sharpen your knives and wait for the next guy who posts something good on here so you can cut him apart as well. Absolutely sickening.

Mike - your pie wagon is beautiful and she'll look great in the Smithsonian!! Congratulations!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Dufault on Monday, August 03, 2015 - 08:52 am:

Envy ? Jealously?

Nasty words indeed.

Whatever happened to tolerance of the patient, attention to detail, dedicated work of others?

Beautiful work, and nice gesture Mike.

Try to not be discouraged by the naysayers....

Some believed the world was flat.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walter Higgins on Monday, August 03, 2015 - 10:48 am:

If he were handing out free pies at an event, I'd bet most of the naysayers would be in line to collect.

Really neat wagon, Mike. Hope I get to see it in person someday.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Monday, August 03, 2015 - 12:32 pm:

Wow, I can't believe the negativity. The guy is proud of his T, (and rightfully so), what it means to his family history, and even thanks the forum members who helped him. So, what does he get in return? What's wrong with you people?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Manuel, Lafayette, La. on Monday, August 03, 2015 - 01:10 pm:

I posted on an earlier thread that I didn't feel this vehicle belonged in the Smithsonian. Hopefully that opinion is not one which is prompting all of these outbursts of indignation about negativity among forum members as I had no intention of disparaging the quality of the work or the beauty of the finished product. It is, however, my understanding that Smithsonian displays are historically significant and historically accurate. In fact, the mission statement of the institution uses the phrase "celebrate knowledge and inform inquiring minds". With that in mind, I don't believe a student of automotive history would leave the display of this vehicle as shown in the video very well informed. My apologies to any one offended as that is never my intent.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walter Higgins on Monday, August 03, 2015 - 01:51 pm:

Not to single anyone out, but I can appreciate John's comments. However, to use what you have illustrated above, the point I was trying to make in the other thread is -- what is historically accurate? To roll the clock back to 101 years ago might as well discount everything that came after it.

This vehicle has been in continual service in the same family owned business for 100+ years. So, are we talking about day-one of its service or is it all encompassing up to the present?

Only the Smithsonian can answer that with how they intend to "interpret" it (convey its story) to the public.

I think the ironic part of this whole thing is that so many people are carrying on about how exclusive and persnickety the Smithsonian is while at the same time effectively saying they have made a mistake.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harvey Cash - Winnemucca Nevada on Monday, August 03, 2015 - 02:47 pm:

" THE ONLY PURE MODEL T IS YOUR MODEL T" Enjoy it your way. Harv.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mike copperthite on Monday, August 03, 2015 - 04:24 pm:

In Service to Others

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mike copperthite on Monday, August 03, 2015 - 04:26 pm:

1919 pie truck in 1923 or 35th anniversary. Not as it left the factory as it was modifyed ;-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jon Crane on Monday, August 03, 2015 - 04:41 pm:

Mike
Are you coming to the Old Car Festival next month?
Jon

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mike copperthite on Monday, August 03, 2015 - 05:00 pm:

Will reside next to this wagon we donated over 90 years ago. For you wagon experts this wagon is only about 99% correct ;-)Museum of American History Transportation Smithsonian Institute

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mike copperthite on Monday, August 03, 2015 - 05:15 pm:

If you have eaten a Mrs. Smith's or a Marie Callender or for that matter any store bought frozen you bake pie than you have eaten one of our pies. As we were, and are the largest manufacture of pies on the planet. And proceeds from every pie we sell goes in support of the community. Always has always will. Cheers History Pie 101

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mike copperthite on Monday, August 03, 2015 - 05:23 pm:

Mr. Cooper and his team with the help of the Henry Ford spent a year restoring this truck. FOR USE. and they would not accept a penny. So I gave them a ratty old Buffington Chair as a thank you. Look that up and maybe start with the Met Museum of Modern Art.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Hanson - Kingwood, Texas on Monday, August 03, 2015 - 07:19 pm:

Mike,

I think your truck is beautiful and deserving of the honor bestowed upon it. Congratulations and keep up the good work!

Best regards,
Mike Hanson
Kingwood, Texas

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron in Central Massachusetts on Monday, August 03, 2015 - 08:33 pm:

I never met Mike Copperthite and probably never will - so there is really nothing personal in this for me. That being said, I am absolutely horrified by the reaction his good news posting received here. He's a guy who is proud of his T and rightfully so - it's one hell of a beautiful truck. He's generously DONATING it as a companion piece to a display that was given to the Smithsonian nearly a century ago by his family. A Model T in any museum with the throughput of the Smithsonian only promotes the Model T and this hobby with the world. He didn't make any claims about the superiority of his vehicle over any others out there NOR did he ask for the vehicle to be judged by the legions of "experts" lurking in the shadows of this forum (and BOY do I mean the dark, dank, dusty, petty shadows) who fancy themselves to be Concours judges and this forum to be a Pebble Beach discussion group. He's a guy with a beautiful vehicle who thought like-minded enthusiasts would appreciate the exposure the Model T would get through this video and a venue like the Smithsonian. Now that you've sniped the hell out of him for his vehicle and scared off any young, burgeoning T person who may read this thread and decide this crowd is too vicious a community to be a part of, you can go back to debating amongst yourselves whether a castellated nut was introduced on a particular component in April of 1911 or May of 1911. Be very careful though - the fate of Democracy, the Western World - yea, Humanity itself - depends on the correct date of that castellated nut.

Now, on to more important things: Mike as a life-long Model T enthusiast - your truck is beautiful and I appreciate what it will do for this hobby in the Smithsonian. As a retired professional soldier, I appreciate what your company does for veterans.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Greg Whaley, Caledon Ontario Canada on Monday, August 03, 2015 - 08:47 pm:

Mike - that is one PRETTY truck!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mike conrad on Tuesday, August 04, 2015 - 02:00 am:

I'm with you Kenneth, and really is that too much to ask? I kinda thought Mr. Copperthite would have like to have shared the amazing story of those 101 years. Just can't believe there's no historical pictures at all.or prerestoration pictures Just seems odd to me. Sorry to all who took my simple question as bashing. It's not.
hope to see it in the museum someday.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andrew Benoit on Tuesday, August 04, 2015 - 05:18 am:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/food/resurrecting-a-slice-of-history-eas y-as-pie/2012/01/31/gIQAYb5ywQ_story.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mike copperthite on Tuesday, August 04, 2015 - 07:51 am:

have posted many pictures of the hundreds of trucks, wagons, etc. including the history of this 1914 pie truck of the family and company. on this site. LOOK.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mike copperthite on Tuesday, August 04, 2015 - 07:57 am:

This Pie Truck is One of only 119 made in 1914 and was sold by the Ford Motor Company to the Connecticut-Copperthite PIE Company 101 years ago! It has been meticulously restored and is being returned to service by the family that has been baking the finest pies the world has known for over 125 years. It will serve as the “Pie Ambassador” at parades and special events before heading to the Henry Ford Museum and the Model T National Museum to be exhibited before she goes into the Smithsonian Institute Transportation Museum of American History where she will take her place next to our pie wagon that has been there for over 90 years. We know the Pie Truck was sold to the Olympic Baking Company and used for display in the 1932 Olympics and then later sold to a flower shop that, “was going to restore her but never got around to it.” Lost to time we found and confirmed it was one of ours and acquired her a little over three years ago. Though intact and complete, she was in need of loving attention. The Henry Ford Museum folks gave a lending hand to Mr. Gary Cooper a master craftsman and the Model T Club of Southern Nevada in the restoration of her and Mr. Cooper and his team spent over a year putting her right! We can never thank them enough and you can see her story on Counting Cars on the Discovery Chanel in July and or in person "with a free slice of pie" on Father’s Day at the Sully Antique Car Show the 41st annual Father's Day Antique Car Show at Sully Historic site in Chantilly, VA. This Model T and a truck we donated to the College Park MD Volunteer Fire Department are the only known survivors of the hundreds of vehicles we purchased back in the day!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mike copperthite on Tuesday, August 04, 2015 - 08:00 am:

some of the pie transport in the day

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Tuesday, August 04, 2015 - 08:11 am:

Thanks Mike for not being bullied and keeping a sense of humor.

(Message edited by adminchris on August 04, 2015)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Manuel, Lafayette, La. on Tuesday, August 04, 2015 - 09:08 am:

Gary, I, and I'm hopeful there are others, would appreciate some restraint in using vulgarity to express your opinion on this forum. Twice in this thread you have chosen to express your self in a way that reflects poorly on all of us. Thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Dufault on Tuesday, August 04, 2015 - 09:13 am:

Words posted here are read in ANY PART of the WORLD that has internet access.

Yes, a reflection on all of us.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Tuesday, August 04, 2015 - 09:46 am:

My comments are no more offensive than the nay sayers. I certainly didn't call anyone's integrity deceptive and that is pretty darned offensive regardless of what part of the world you're reading this forum from. I stand by the last sentence of my previous comment.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jon Crane on Tuesday, August 04, 2015 - 09:59 am:

Guys
Didn't they make a movie about GRUMPY OLD MEN?
Why is everyone so hostile to a guy who bakes good pies. Come on and get with the program.

Bud DeLong are we gonna drag race again at the OCF?
Glad I am young!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Brancaccio - Calgary Alberta on Tuesday, August 04, 2015 - 11:46 am:

Like Jerry Van said above "What's wrong with you people?"

I have removed a few posts, any further posts will be removed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Warren on Wednesday, August 05, 2015 - 06:40 am:

Mike, Thanks for the up-date on the pie wagon, It is beautiful, I know that some modern updates were installed because you were using it. Most people that use there T's have at least some updates. Great story, I only hope to be able to see her again. It was an honor to help with the project. My best to you and your family.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Wednesday, August 05, 2015 - 04:02 pm:

Thank you Mike Copperthite and thank you Chris Brancaccio. I know that I can get pretty judgmental about things political and the "correctness claims" of model Ts. I generally try to avoid doing so. None of my cars has ever been anywhere near perfect, and I generally do not criticize other peoples cars much, unless gross and untrue claims have been made. Usually, that is on cars for sale where there are also concerns about misrepresentation to potential buyers.

And Chris B, if I ever cross the line? You have my permission to cut my comments at your discretion.
And thank you for all you do for us!

Mike C, You have a wonderful family heritage and rightfully should be very proud of it!
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Wednesday, August 05, 2015 - 07:24 pm:

I like pie and anything that delivers it!!!!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Friday, August 07, 2015 - 06:51 am:

Well I think this is cool. To have the history laid out from a century ago to date is unheard of. Mike shows appreciation of his fore fathers and their struggles with a business started and still alive today. As for the rudeness of some...welcome to the real world, its abundant.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mike copperthite on Saturday, August 08, 2015 - 04:36 am:

For the folks who helped restore our model T.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration