Carb for my Speedster

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Carb for my Speedster
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Saturday, August 01, 2015 - 11:45 pm:

Finally getting this mystery updraft carb ready for a trial. It's opening to the manifold is larger than the stock Ford carb and I hope it will be of some benefit. Still trying to find out the maker and any adjustment instructions if anyone out there has a similar piece.CarbLinkage

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Saturday, August 01, 2015 - 11:48 pm:

Here are some more pictures of the same carb Carb viewCarbView two

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Saturday, August 01, 2015 - 11:48 pm:

Here are some more pictures of the same carb Carb viewCarbView two

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Rogahn on Sunday, August 02, 2015 - 01:02 am:

Neat setup. It looks similar to a U&J but definitely isn't. The intake looks like a U&J though.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Sunday, August 02, 2015 - 04:31 pm:

The intake is quite different from a U&J. The float bowl looks like a Kingston.

Here's a U&J intake for comparison:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Sunday, August 02, 2015 - 06:08 pm:

I looks like a Johnson to me. Hard to tell, so many of them look the same. A lot of carbs were sold with no maker name on them so the owner would go back to the dealer for carb cleaning, etc. Also, a lot of carbs were sold with a decal on the bowl with some name on it.

That manifold was sold by lots of places to mount "power" carbs on Model T's.

Here is a stock U & J. I have a new old stock U & J, thought I had some photos but couldn't find them. You can see the difference in the manifolds. The correct U & J does not have the boss to be drilled for a vacuum port.

Back to the shop, trying to get a Stromberg R-1 i the mail for a Maxwell in North Carolina and a couple Stromberg RF's out tomorrow. Busy Sunday.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Sunday, August 02, 2015 - 07:43 pm:

Adjustment look straight forward. The spring loaded needle is air/fuel for idle and the adjustment on the back looks to be main jet adjustment. Try one turn on the first and 1 1/2 turns on the second to start. Set the idle so it doesn't burp or run rich. Then throttle the engine up to a high idle, open or close the main jet adjustment till the motor smooths out, then a bit more.
I know it might just be the bowl but it's looks a little like a Kingston to me.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration