Battery options

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Battery options
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Sunday, August 02, 2015 - 02:06 am:

Lights are 12volt non starter any suggestions for a cheap battery prefer one with threaded posts
Just want see what suggestions I'm currently running a small lawn mower battery

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Sunday, August 02, 2015 - 07:27 am:

Do you have a generator with 12 volt regulator?

Will size be a factor?

They do make adapters to run on regular post batteries to convert to threaded post. I am running a set on an automotive battery I have.

I believe most marine style batteries are threaded post.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Wolf on Sunday, August 02, 2015 - 07:41 am:

I tried a lawnmower battery on my '14 at the 2008 deal at Richmond, In. and ran on it till it went dead which wasn't long. I didn't think the mag was working. I flipped it to mag and it started on the mag. Ended up buying a car battery as back up and finished the tour on mag.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Holland, Utah on Sunday, August 02, 2015 - 01:01 pm:

Get an Optima Deep cycle. Ran my car for years on that. Used it for starting and then switched to mag. Used for turn signals brake lights but never tried it on head lights, used 24volt lights on mag. I recently had an adventure with Hardeman's alternator, but have not run it yet. My motor is a stock 1916. Optima Deep cycles are not cheap but the battery does not care if it is mounted side ways; like under the rear seat or in a running board box. They last a long time and are good if you deep discharge them. I bought one of their battery chargers and it is a gem, It only charges 12 volts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Holland, Utah on Sunday, August 02, 2015 - 01:12 pm:

Get an Optima Deep cycle. Ran my car for years on that. Used it for starting and then switched to mag. Used for turn signals brake lights but never tried it on head lights, used 24volt lights on mag. I recently had an adventure with Hardeman's alternator, but have not run it yet. My motor is a stock 1916. Optima Deep cycles are not cheap but the battery does not care if it is mounted side ways; like under the rear seat or in a running board box. They last a long time and are good if you deep discharge them. I bought one of their battery chargers and it is a gem, It only charges 12 volts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Sunday, August 02, 2015 - 02:13 pm:

Batteries and tires are two things I don't go "cheap" on....get the best and your life on the road will be a lot better.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Sunday, August 02, 2015 - 03:15 pm:

Bob. I used a standard leftover 12 volt battery on my non-starter 19 T that ran on the mag without a problem. I run 12 volt LED stop lights. I used a trickle charger for a few hours before going for a drive but it only took a few minutes for the indicator light to say it was full.
By leftover battery I jet that I have a couple standard automotive batteries laying around the garage. My dad used a small lantern battery in the 60's to help with starting.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bud Holzschuh - Panama City, FL on Monday, August 03, 2015 - 05:44 pm:

A fully charged lawn mower battery ($19.95 walmart) will easily run a T all day. I used to have a quick connect in the engine compartment and would simply plug in a trickle charger over night (or, leave it on until your next trip.) Worked fine for several years.

I then built the homemade magneto charger. Now I use the same battery but the magneto charge keeps it topped up while I drive. Painless and cheap.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration