Did it sell?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Did it sell?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Mays on Sunday, August 02, 2015 - 08:28 am:

Saw a 1912 Model T Touring listed on line in Hemmings to be sold at the Harrisburg, Pa Mecom Auction this weekend. Recorded the auction so I could fast forward through the muscle cars as I looked to see what would happen with the '12. Never did see it come up in the auction and I just checked the Hemmings on line and see that the '12 isn't listed now. Did anyone see what happened when the T came up in the auction? Just curious, it looked like a pretty nice one. Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jerry knouse on Sunday, August 02, 2015 - 09:28 am:

Final bid was $40,000 did not make reserve, and therefore did not sell. Wow !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Mays on Sunday, August 02, 2015 - 12:33 pm:

Thanks Jerry. I looked but didn't see it come up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Sunday, August 02, 2015 - 04:34 pm:

Hold on .... let me get this straight. You recorded a televised old car auction (of any type) and
expected the camera crew to show anything but the same droning treadmill of Chevelles, Novas,
Shelbys, and Chevelles ?

Now THAT is funny ! :-) :-) :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Sunday, August 02, 2015 - 05:57 pm:

Burger - You said Chevelles twice, but I think you meant Corvettes, and I couldn't agree more! There's a whole generation that is absolutely in love with muscle cars, whether us (maybe not you Burger) but whether us old guys like it or not!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Sunday, August 02, 2015 - 06:08 pm:

Actually, the double use of "Chevelle" was intentional .... did I mention the Chevelles ? :-)

Yeah ...

I get bored easily with the same basic "item" over and over and over, be it a car, a song,
movie, or celebrity. BO-RING ! Outright nauseating when the talking heads fawn all over
the hyped BS. You can hear the vacuous expanse between their ears.

I have a 66 Coronet convertible in the shop. Will run with the best of them ... 440 magnum,
4-speed, posi, ... all that jazz. Do you think Mecum would show a non-GM or Ford ? Not
a chance. The drones only care about Chevys and Fords. Everything apparently "doesn't
exist".

Actually, it is good this way. If all those posers suddenly wanted in on our game, we'd be
priced right out of our own hobby.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Sunday, August 02, 2015 - 06:31 pm:

Pretty car except the horn is upside down and apparently who ever mounted it also was not too good at getting the horn tube length right either.

Link:
https://www.mecum.com/lot-detail/PA0715-216714/0/1912-Ford-Model-T-Touring/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Sunday, August 02, 2015 - 10:34 pm:

Do the seats look too puffy?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Sunday, August 02, 2015 - 10:40 pm:

Yeah, Im guilty , I have a boring 1959 Corvette sharing space with my T :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Monday, August 03, 2015 - 01:53 am:

Now, Ed ... I did not include Corvettes, .... although, to be honest, I do find any
post-69 Vette pretty boring/a shadow of what they had been before.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Mays on Monday, August 03, 2015 - 09:10 am:

'mornin' Burger: Yup, that's why I recorded the thing. I think I did stop the "fast forward" when a Model A coupe when through the auction. I think it took about 10 minutes to watch 2 hours of the auction. I agree on the muscle cars. In a parking lot they look just like any other car, but put a Model T out there and everyone stops to check it out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Wolf on Monday, August 03, 2015 - 09:34 am:

As far as I am concerned GM quit making Corvette in 1962.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Monday, August 03, 2015 - 09:57 am:

I have a question about car auctions. Is there ever
any auctions that are exclusively for pre WW2 or earlier? I don't see them on TV. Maybe there are but I don't follow the old car auction circuit either. I assume there is somewhere.
Maybe the 12 Touring was put in a televised auction (I am assuming it was televised) since John M said it recorded to get more exposure.

It seems that the 40's thru 70's cars are the draw
for a lot of people.
I just bought a 63 Ford Galaxie 500 2dr hardtop so I would have something to tinker with besides the 3 T's that I have. I'm not a rich guy and the Galaxie was reasonable.

Those car auctions and TV car shows have had a impact on the popularity of that era of cars. The prices for them and the parts companies and catalogues are a testament to that.

Makes me wonder why you don't see the Model T and A era auctions nationally televised or this era of car restoration shows. Not to make Hot Rods out of them by the way.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, August 03, 2015 - 10:26 am:

The reason you don't see much TV coverage of prewar cars is that most of the people who care about them are old folks. Not only are the folks who make TV shows younger, and therefore more interested in postwar stuff, but we represent an audience considered demographically undesirable. There's more money in peddling Old Navy and Smartphones than in selling laxatives and Depends. Lawrence Welk was on ABC for decades and his ratings were fine, but his audience was old and he had to go. At 74 I'm a lot less likely to throw away money on highly advertised useless crap than I was when I was 24. Being less profitable now makes me a less desirable audience.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Monday, August 03, 2015 - 01:16 pm:

Some time ago on a T.V. talk show, a high-ranking T.V. executive was being interviewed and was talking about T.V. censoring, how shows are selected/cancelled, etc. Near the end of the interview, he said something that I'll never forget, and I think it was the absolute truth. He said,....."frankly, if you're over 30 years old, we really don't care what you think"! He was dead serious, and judging from the content of most T.V. nowadays, I believe that statement to be the absolute truth. For example, an awful lot of this "reality" crap,.....in nowhere near "reality"!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Monday, August 03, 2015 - 01:18 pm:

WOW! Talk about "thread drift"! And I certainly added to it,......sorry John.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derek Kiefer - Mantorville, MN on Monday, August 03, 2015 - 01:27 pm:

Some of us like Chevelles. :-)

(there's a couple Model T's in there too)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Monday, August 03, 2015 - 04:27 pm:

There aren't enough Ts in there. I see enough floor space to put in four more Ts.
Model Ts and barn-space rule number one. You must move at least three cars to get to the one in the back!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Tuesday, August 04, 2015 - 01:12 am:

Well, Derek .... I'll give you this ... at least you got the best Chevelles there (68-69).
They are a little "large in the derriere", but they do have nice, crisp styling. The earlier
ones, not so much. The later ones were just blunted-off versions of the crisp, clean
lined 68 and 69 models.

Steve, .... I take a certain pride in being "undesirable" (in more ways than just being
off the sales radar). :-)

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration