Jones Speedometer Swivel Drive Joint Question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Jones Speedometer Swivel Drive Joint Question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Douglas Dachenbach on Sunday, August 02, 2015 - 09:51 am:

I came into the position of two old Jones swivel drive joints. They were a bit rusty and locked up but I figured a good cleaning and lubrication might reveal a good working swivel. After a lot of “Oil Eater” and more paper towels I had a swivel with very sharp gears and everything in working order.

When I re-assembled the swivel, the drive gear rod to the cable slides in and out about 1/8th of an inch. Just enough to cause a problem. The pinion shaft doesn't move and is quite solid. I searched in Russ Furstnow's book and found a picture of the joint which is almost the same. The picture on the left is from his book and both drive gears have an extended point that fits into a dimple in the oil cap. The photo on the left is of my swivel and neither gear has that extended point and both caps have a flat raised center. Both caps are identical. I took my second swivel apart very carefully to see what is in that space that isn't keeping the drive gear in place. It looks like old dried up grease. Almost like a dry disc of grease or something that is compacted and breaks into tiny chunks. Does anyone know what Jones put in under the oil cap to keep the gears in place? Jones 1912-16

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Douglas Dachenbach on Sunday, August 02, 2015 - 04:18 pm:

Surely someone knows about Jones swivel joints!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Douglas Dachenbach on Monday, August 03, 2015 - 08:34 am:

I'm looking for a little help on this>

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson-Nicholasville, Kentucky on Monday, August 03, 2015 - 09:41 am:

Contact Russ Furstnow at 928-699-2376.
He will surely know.
Ron the Coilman

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Monday, August 03, 2015 - 10:14 am:

Kim Dobbins is knowledgeable of these too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Russ Furstnow on Monday, August 03, 2015 - 10:46 am:

Douglas,
Jones did nothing special to the swivel to keep the input gear from moving in and out, BUT, once the pinion gear, with the two washers and nut, is installed on the swivel, the movement stops and your swivel will work well. While the removable ends on the swivel housing state "oil", I use wheel bearing grease to lubricate the swivel gear. I hope this helps.
Russ Furstnow

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Russ Furstnow on Monday, August 03, 2015 - 10:47 am:

BTW, This swivel was never used on a Model T Ford.
Russ Furstnow

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration