1915 Patent Data Plate

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: 1915 Patent Data Plate
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Jorgensen on Sunday, August 02, 2015 - 05:35 pm:

I have my original Patent Data Plate for my 1915, but it is difficult to read. A previous owner had attached the plate to the frame work on the inside of the "dummy" door. Since I replaced my firewall, I also purchased a new reproduction Patent Data Plate. I made a water slide decal of the car number and then affixed the decal to the new plate. I purchased blank ink jet water side decal paper on ebay from www.world-paper.com. For the font I used "Plantagenet Cherokee" in size 18. In order to get the spacing correct, I inserted a font size 8 "space" between each character. I am pleased with the result.

Here is a photo of my original plate:

Here is a photo of the copy I made:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Sunday, August 02, 2015 - 08:45 pm:

RV Anderson has the correct dies to stamp the number into your repro plate.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Monday, August 03, 2015 - 08:05 am:

Wayne,

I like the original plate better. If that was my car I would shine up the original plate and re - install it. Note that originally the top LH nail was hidden under the edge of the cowl as in this photo:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Jorgensen on Monday, August 03, 2015 - 10:06 am:

I like the original plate also, that is why I am keeping it attached to the car, in the exact place where the last owner installed it. The old plate cannot be shined up without removing the paint. The new plate is installed in the proper place on the firewall.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Monday, August 03, 2015 - 10:12 am:

Your original patent plate can be restored. I've done it. However, I don't know if the four holes are still good anymore with those screws that were in it. Clean it up real good and spray a coat of black lacquer on it. Then carefully sand the paint off the tops of the lettering with very fine wet or dry. If you go through the paint, no worry. Just touch it up with India ink. When you are done you can clear coat it.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration