Interesting 1912 Touring up for grabs

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Interesting 1912 Touring up for grabs
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Sunday, August 02, 2015 - 06:52 pm:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-Model-T-/151766476314?forcerrptr=true&hash=item2355 fca61a&item=151766476314

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Sunday, August 02, 2015 - 07:11 pm:

I don't know if it was eBad, the internet, or my computer, but I had trouble looking at the listing and couldn't get a good look at much of it.
I will be interested to see what others think of it. And try to look at it again later myself.
From what I could see? Very interesting. Not much '12 there. Yet it does look so "original".
Do try to not be too nasty.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Sunday, August 02, 2015 - 07:42 pm:

If it had the correct windscreen and black and brass headlights, it would be a pretty fair 1914 model. Must have been a proto type, delivered two years early!

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mike conrad on Sunday, August 02, 2015 - 07:54 pm:

Well...... no. Where do you even start with a car like this? I would hope the new owner understands what they bid on.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Sunday, August 02, 2015 - 08:26 pm:

The engine number is correct for 1912, but I agree with Allan that most of the car looks more like 1914, with some earlier and some later parts.

As long as the buyer realizes what he's buying, it would be a good project to play with.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Sunday, August 02, 2015 - 09:18 pm:

That engine number may be on the title, but sure doesn't belong to the engine that's in the car!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mike conrad on Sunday, August 02, 2015 - 10:13 pm:

1912?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Sunday, August 02, 2015 - 11:42 pm:

"The engine number is correct for 1912..."

Notice I didn't say the engine is correct. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Monday, August 03, 2015 - 05:51 am:

The lock on the coil box looks like a YALE lock, was that a period accessory or was that added by a later owner for insurance purposes?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Monday, August 03, 2015 - 07:22 am:

The coil box is a 1914. The Yale lock would not fit a 1912 coil switch, so it is not period correct for the car. It is a nice accessory for 1913 and later. I have them on my '14 and on my '17.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Parker on Monday, August 03, 2015 - 09:39 am:

The switch is a 1912 K-W "Autolock". This is the early brass face plate version.

The switch base is not the same as a regular Ford switch for the 1913 metal coil box even though the mounting screw patterns are the same.

The Yale lock tumblers require a switch to match up.

Patent date on the face plate is January 1912.

Ken in Texas

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Henderson, Dunbarton, NH on Monday, August 03, 2015 - 10:05 am:

I think the fact that it has been driven over a million miles (Mileage: 1,234,567) should account for how it looks on ebay. LOL

Happy motoring,

Warren

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Parker on Monday, August 03, 2015 - 11:18 am:

The switch was apparently made for the metal 1913 style metal coil box. K-W must have been working on the new box for some time or the "Autolock" was an earlier application in their wood box switches. The 1912 patent date doesn't indicate availability in 1912.

Ken in Texas

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Monday, August 03, 2015 - 12:11 pm:

I see a very nice original 1914 with wrong hood, windshield and title. The rear axle looks correct with a Ruckstell added. The parking brake drums look shiny, like a set of outside brakes were removed not to long ago. I bet the engine number does not match the title. If the title and engine number match then getting it titled in a different state should be ok, but if they don't then the buyer better be versed in the ways of the DMV for their state.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Vancouver, WA on Monday, August 03, 2015 - 12:30 pm:

I doubt that mag post oiler flows much seeing as it goes up hill even on level ground. Cute touring car project car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John E Cox on Monday, August 03, 2015 - 03:14 pm:

From the Ebay listing.

Q: Hi has this car got its original motor thankyou. Aug-02-15
A: R I'm not sure about the original motor. The VIN is 121317 and the engine number is 128167. Someone with a greater knowledge of Model T's would be better suited to answer that question. If the VIN/Motor numbers are supposed to match, then it may not be. I was told the engine number is June, 1912 and the VIN is May, 1912. I would invite you or your agent to come inspect the vehicle to satisfy your question. Thanks for your interest.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Monday, August 03, 2015 - 06:48 pm:

Mark,

You are right of course - the coil box and switch etc are correct for a 1914. I was being sardonic. It doesn't always work on computers as we can see!

The car is in fact mostly 1914, with a wrong engine.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration