Roadster progress

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Roadster progress
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Monday, August 03, 2015 - 08:25 am:

I have almost finished stripping the body on my D&F wide body roadster. Here is the standard oval fuel tank, mounted higher in the fixed turtledeck.fuel tank

The filler neck is accessed by lifting the turtledeck lid. It is fashioned to fill into the side of the tank.filler

There is a small air tube solder
ed between the filler neck and the top of the tank to allow fuel to flow in and displace air as the tank fills.

I could not work out why the B pillar was rock solid on such a well used car. This bracket explains somewhat.door pillar

More to come.
Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger on Monday, August 03, 2015 - 11:53 am:

Allan

thanks for the interesting photos...am looking forward to watching your progress. Australian bodied cars are intriguing to me and I love to see folks restoring wood in any car, to boot.

Best of luck, and keep us all apprised of your progress.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Monday, August 03, 2015 - 04:16 pm:

Yes, thank you for the wonderful detail pictures! Your "Southern" bodied cars have always fascinated me. It is especially interesting to me to see how they worked the petrol tank into it because I restored my boat-tail some years ago. It was sitting in at an odd angle really low and uses a vacuum tank to pull gasoline up to the front.

Photo for comparison and for Scott C to look at another car when being re-wooded.

I look forward to seeing lots of photos on the progress of your car!
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Monday, August 03, 2015 - 04:51 pm:

Allan,

Thanks for the photos. And the reinforcement metal bracket looks like it would have been simple to cut out and would have provided extra support.

We look forward to you sharing your progress.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Monday, August 03, 2015 - 07:46 pm:

All, these cars were definitely hand built, often with individual idiosyncrasies. The restored car I will be measuring up for the top mechanism has the fuel tank mounted at the rear, suspended under the spare wheel carrier. This necessitates a vacuum tank on the firewall. It makes for much more room in the turtledeck.

Hap, that bracket is not cut out. It started as a piece of flat stock. It has been hand forged into a taper up the pillar so it clears the side timbers. The leg on the bottom is bent on the flat to follow the heel panel. The other side one is not identical!

Thanks for the encouragement men.

Allan from down under.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration