Old Photo - Model T Era Street Corner Scene

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Old Photo - Model T Era Street Corner Scene
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Monday, August 03, 2015 - 10:52 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, August 03, 2015 - 11:15 am:

That price on the car beside the snack stand (Willys?) strikes me as rather high.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Monday, August 03, 2015 - 11:50 am:

I'm not sure Steve, but the radiator shell looks like a Buick to me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Monday, August 03, 2015 - 12:04 pm:

This looks to be about 1926 or '27 to me.

Steve - That's just the salesman's asking price. Things haven't changed much in that respect... :-)

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Monday, August 03, 2015 - 12:57 pm:

I didn't know "Simonizing" went back that far. Dealers were fleecing customers back then too. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Monday, August 03, 2015 - 01:56 pm:

When I first moved to south Florida in 1978, "paint sealant" was the hot commodity. One of the biggest movers in that market was "Polyglycoat". The stuff was supposed to protect paint jobs from the broiling Florida sun.

A few years and hundreds of lawsuits over peeling paint and sealant later, all of the paint sealant places had gone out of business or moved on to other products. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Monday, August 03, 2015 - 11:08 pm:

That picture was on this site a year or so ago.
I think it was at Folsom and Mission in San Francisco. At least it was south of Market.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Monday, August 03, 2015 - 11:09 pm:

On second glance maybe it is not the same picture.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Tuesday, August 04, 2015 - 01:02 am:

What is the big sedan with the disc wheels to the right ???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Tuesday, August 04, 2015 - 02:36 am:

Studebaker, believe it or not. I remember the photo and discussions from before. And this one is definitely worth seeing again!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Tuesday, August 04, 2015 - 09:59 am:

What is weird is it appears to be part of another photo opposite the trolley car under Auto Grease Service?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Tuesday, August 04, 2015 - 11:31 am:

Keith is sure right about "asking price". A little drift:

I bought my first car when I was 18 (1966). My dad and I spotted it on a lot in Los Gatos, CA. We took it for a drive and stopped by our house. My mother looked it over and asked me, "Are you going to buy this car?" I said, "Yes." She said, "I'm going with you!"

So, she climbed in the back seat and off we went. The asking price was $1,850, which I was eager to pay. When we got back to the lot, the salesman herded us in for the kill. She smiled and said, "We'll give you $1,200 for it." I almost died. I wanted that car more than anything in the world. She was gonna screw it up.

Well, after a lot of haggling, I got that car for $1,400. I learned a lot that day..... :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Tuesday, August 04, 2015 - 04:22 pm:

The first car facing the camera parked on the street looks like a 1930 Model A. If so the picture would have to be taken no earlier than 1930.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Tuesday, August 04, 2015 - 04:25 pm:

The first car facing the camera parked on the street looks like a 1930 Model A. If so the picture would have to be taken no earlier than 1930.
Norm

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration