Old photo, thats a dolly of an outhouse

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Old photo, thats a dolly of an outhouse
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Vancouver, WA on Monday, August 03, 2015 - 12:49 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Monday, August 03, 2015 - 05:36 pm:

Erich,

Thank you for posting the photo.

I do not see any brass trim on the side lamps. Based on that I would assume it is a very late 1915 model year or anytime 1916 model year car. Ref: http://www.mtfca.com/encyclo/doc15.htm JUN 19, 1915 Acc. 575, Box 19, Ford Archives
Headlight door. Change from brass to black steel specified.

Lack of driver's door (you probably would not block it if it was there) and what appears to be 30 x 3 in front and 30 x 3 1/2 in the rear would indicate USA car.

Note I believe the oval windows in the back of the top are accessories and not from the factory.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ryan in Illinois on Monday, August 03, 2015 - 06:33 pm:

Nice photo! Speaking of outhouses, does anyone still have one behind their house?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank M. Brady on Monday, August 03, 2015 - 06:52 pm:

Ryan: I do, but the gobmint is gonna take it for the Obunga Library.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Monday, August 03, 2015 - 09:33 pm:

Ryan, Yes we still have one and it is still used from time to time. When we bought our farm back in the 1970s, it was bare land. The first building I built was the out house. It is the traditional Arkansas Hillbilly style and shape, and has a "moon" cut into the door. I built it at my dads place and hauled it over to the farm in the back of the pickup. (how about that for Arkansas hillbilly :-)) The second building built was the shop. (we have to have our priorities right, don't we.? :-)) Then we bought a mobile home to live in while we built the house.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By JohnH on Monday, August 03, 2015 - 09:49 pm:

Mine is 105 years old:
outhouse
It's been nearly 50 years though since it has been used as such:
note

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Tuesday, August 04, 2015 - 02:24 am:

I have been threatening to build one as my contribution to Califunny's water conservation.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Tuesday, August 04, 2015 - 05:35 am:

I remember as a little boy going to a relatives place in Georgia and after using the outhouse my dad asking me if I remembered to flush it, Mom says I went into a 10 minute explanation of how there was no handle to flush it with. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Tuesday, August 04, 2015 - 07:00 am:

This is attached to our woodshed. This was accessible without going outside. It's a double holer and lined with wainscoting. One time we had a Ford V-8 picnic here and a hot young girl asked me joking where the out house was, instead of directing her to the bathroom, guess where I took her?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Tuesday, August 04, 2015 - 07:23 am:

I have a friend that has one. He has a nice place (With indoor plumbing:-)), but it is a large place (Several acres) and we do a lot of stuff around there like making cane syrup and running steam engines and hit and miss engines etc. The outhouse is centrally located and quite frankly, is just easier than going up to the house. The only time I've ever used the house bathroom was when we were already in the house for something else. Never made a special trip. My wife will usually go to the house, but not always.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ryan in Illinois on Tuesday, August 04, 2015 - 01:11 pm:

I've got a pair. The white one is original to the farm. I fixed it up about 10 years ago since it cost almost nothing to do. The red one came from someone in town getting rid of theirs. My grandpa used it for different building projects. It was part of a tractor shed, then a rabbit hutch, then a chicken house. It was always moving around in the farmyard. I've seen pictures of it in at least 5 different places. When I moved to the farm, I added a new floor and some paint and put it up by the house to use as a woodshed.

Funny thing was that it was missing a door in every picture I had ever seen of it. The joke around the farm was always "If something is missing, its still on the farm...they never threw anything away". As I was standing there thinking of how to build a door, I look through the flowers under my back porch where the dog used to live, and there, nailed to the underside of the porch providing a windbreak, was a primitive door with a porcelain handle. I get out my tape measure and sure enough, it fits. I take it down and size it on the out-house, and the hinge lines up to holes in the out-house. That door and it's building spent probably 60 years apart just to get put back together. I think that's funny...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Horton on Tuesday, August 04, 2015 - 03:05 pm:

Iím headed for my ďRanchĒ, (itís a small ranch, 5 acres up in the mountains of central Utah), Monday and one of my chores when I get there is to replace the roof on the outhouse. It came with the place when I bought it 22 years ago and Iíve never used it, but now that Iím 80 and Iíve used outhouses in my day so it reminds me of the good old days when times were hard and it also makes me realize how far Iíve come from then and there. Might also add that if some of you old dogs were were economically challenged (poor) like we were, when the Searís or Wardís catalogs arrived and we had finished oohing and awing over all of the things we couldnít afford, the catalogs were then relegated to the outhouse. You found out in a hurry that when you needed a page to use as TP, you started with the back pages that were softer instead of the colored ones up front that were slick!!

Cheers,

Ron

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jamie Holmes on Tuesday, August 04, 2015 - 03:09 pm:

I do at our cottage in Haliburton, Ontario
No electricity, no telephone, running water from a rain catch system and out door plumbing.

No grass to cut either !!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Tuesday, August 04, 2015 - 04:07 pm:

A Nevada City, Mt Hotel has this two-story out house connected to it. Speaking of stories, I like to tell about Virginia City's Plummer gang stealing all the toilets in town. The law couldn't do anything as they had nothing to go on.

Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Tuesday, August 04, 2015 - 04:30 pm:

And I suppose the gang, feeling flush, left town for the big city?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ryan in Illinois on Tuesday, August 04, 2015 - 05:20 pm:

Rich, I'm picturing the terror on the face of the person in the lower outhouse when the person in the upper outhouse starts to go.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Tuesday, August 04, 2015 - 09:24 pm:

My cousin had a outhouse at his place. He had rigged the seat to operate a switch that started a tape recorder playing some different sayings thru a speaker that sounded like it was coming from "in the hole". When you sat on the seat it started the playback. I can remember a few. "Hey, get off the seat, we are working down here" another was "Jim, look at the a** on that one" and there were others, I just do not remember them all... It was always fun to see the expressions on the faces of the newbies who had never been there before.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration