Battery Tender

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Battery Tender
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Monday, August 03, 2015 - 01:04 pm:

Seeking advice from Battery Tender users or venders. Will the battery tenders that venders sell, charge both 6 and 12 volt batteries, or are there separate tenders for 6 and 12 volt batteries? The reason I ask is Snyder's catalog lists a separate part number for 6 and 12 volt tenders, but Lang's appears to sell the same tender and lists only one part number, but says it will charge 6 and 12 volt batteries. I don't want to buy a separate charger for each if one will do the job for both.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Monday, August 03, 2015 - 01:31 pm:

NAPA sells one that will "AUTOMATICALLY" charge either 6 volts or 12 volts. You just hook it up and it decides and takes care of itself. Sells for about $45.00. I liked my first one so well that I now have a couple more,.....FWIW,.....harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pete Humphrey on Monday, August 03, 2015 - 01:51 pm:

I have several Battery Tenders and they work quite well. I would not attempt to charge a 6v battery with a 12v BT. Get the right charger for the right battery. And keep the terminals clean! Built up corrosion will add resistance and ruin the Battery Tender. Don't ask me how I know.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Chochole, Oswego, IL on Monday, August 03, 2015 - 01:54 pm:

Harold,
Do you have a stock number or name or image of that battery tender? It sounds interesting.

Thank you, Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Monday, August 03, 2015 - 02:31 pm:

I have 2 Schumacher battery tenders or float chargers whatever you want to call them.
I got these at Auto-Zone. They were around 28.00 dollars or so. Auto Zone stocks these or at least they used to
Amazon usually has them a little cheaper. They are 1 1/2 volt and will float charge a 6 or 12 volt battery.

Well made and not a cheap-o. And they will save you batteries.

I found out about them on the forum 2 years ago.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Gruber- Spanaway, Wash. on Monday, August 03, 2015 - 02:50 pm:

John Regan posted a schematic for a 6V tender a few tears ago.
Harbor Fright sells a cheap, good 12V one but 6V's are more spendy.
I built several of John's 6V ones and they work fine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Monday, August 03, 2015 - 04:02 pm:

Pete Humphrey - Welcome to the Forum!!! I see this is your first post here & we hope you will become an active participant...

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Monday, August 03, 2015 - 05:26 pm:

James (and Bob Gruber if interested)

Sold by NAPA AUTO PARTS stores - Model 85-300A-CA (Automatic 1.5 A 6/12 V)

Not only automatic selection for charging 6 volt or 12 volt batteries, but very compact with provision for mounting permanently on vehicle, or can be used as independent portable battery charger/maintainer.

Comes equipped with terminal lugs on red & black leads for permanent mounting, but two different stores that I bought mine from also display/sell red & black alligator clips optional for a couple bucks. Apparently, a lot of people like me, cut the terminal lugs off of the red & black wires and attach the red & black alligator clips for "portable" use.

Pretty slick deal,.......red indicator light shows proper hook-up and turns green when battery fully charged and displays green pulsations which indicates that charger has gone into "maintainer" mode which can be left on battery for long periods of time. A great way to take care of your battery.

For what it's worth,....hope this helps,......harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Monday, August 03, 2015 - 05:35 pm:

A bit more info for what it's worth.....

I believe these may be made for NAPA by "Schumacher" and as per info on the internet, that brand seems to sell considerably cheaper, but I don't know where to get those. Actually, I've always liked NAPA so really don't mind giving them a few more bucks,......harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By paul iverson freeport ill. on Monday, August 03, 2015 - 05:41 pm:

I agree with John K. I like the Schumacher batt. Maintainer I have two I got one at Walmart and one at fleet farm under 20 bucks I just switch from batt to batt I had the harbor freight tenders two went bad and I think ruined my battery's they replaced them but I don't trust them anymore

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Zibell, Huntsville, AL on Monday, August 03, 2015 - 05:45 pm:

Here is the unit I use. http://www.cyclegear.com/MEGABOOST-Pro-Series-4000-ChargerMaintainer Seems it is always on sale. I use the pig tail and connect it to my block on the fire wall, battery connection. The negative goes to a body bolt. In my case, one of the steering column bolts at the firewall. It comes with clips and a pigtail. Additional pigtails are available at a reasonable cost for multiple applications. http://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tender-081-0069-6-Terminal-Disconnect/dp/B000NCOKZ Q/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1438638252&sr=8-2&keywords=battery+charger+connector

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Monday, August 03, 2015 - 06:52 pm:

Paul I. --- That's the kind that I have. Amazon has them for about 20.00. They have a deal going on now. If you buy 2 or more they will ship them free! That's a deal.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill in Adelaida Calif on Tuesday, August 04, 2015 - 10:01 am:

Sometimes (usually in the fall) Tractor Supply has them on sale for around $18-20 dollars.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Tuesday, August 04, 2015 - 11:07 am:

John K. and Paul I., will the Schumacher charge both 6 and 12 volt batteries?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By paul iverson freeport ill. on Tuesday, August 04, 2015 - 11:12 am:

yes its automatic 6 or 12 it has a lite that tells you when it is fully charged than it maintains the charge

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration