How do you grab the brake lever?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: How do you grab the brake lever?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By paul iverson freeport ill. on Monday, August 03, 2015 - 08:06 pm:

I just read this in the 1920 Dykes encyclopedia it has ford supplement lots of good info

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Monday, August 03, 2015 - 08:19 pm:

You'd have to be gumby to do that comfortably!:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Monday, August 03, 2015 - 08:25 pm:

I use the left hand but the thumb is up. I use the thumb to press the latch. I'm afraid that if I turned the palm toward the outside of the car I would bump my elbow on something or strain the elbow. That joint is not intended by the creator to be used in that way! I have had no problem doing it with the thumb up. Now if I am on the outside of the car facing backward I can use the left hand with the thumb down.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Monday, August 03, 2015 - 08:28 pm:

I just grab it with my left hand without thinking about it much except to compress the latch so as not to wear out the teeth, well most of the time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Monday, August 03, 2015 - 09:04 pm:

I've been pinched a couple of times so I DO have to think about it. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Monday, August 03, 2015 - 09:39 pm:

I grab it sort of over-hand, with my thumb pointing down and my palm facing the non-opening door. _That works for pulling it back.

Pushing it forward requires leverage on the latch, so it's thumb-up. _It also requires a bit of reach and that's a problem for me because of a fused lower back, so most times I skooch my left foot over to the right, past the pedals and make it more of a left lean than a forward bend. _It's just a momentary thing for the upshift.

Yeah, I know most guys prefer to do the upshift with the clutch pedal and that works for me at stop signs, but I find it easier for wait for a red traffic light with the lever in the middle position. _I seem get a "higher quality" neutral that way, with nothing in the tranny groaning or rubbing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Monday, August 03, 2015 - 09:46 pm:

Here Lies Cross Eyed Jake,

He Grabbed Her Leg Instead of the Brake.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, August 04, 2015 - 12:40 am:

I dislike what little I can see of the driving instructions. "...push the clutch pedal forward slowly until the car starts to move... Gradually push the clutch pedal harder until you find that there is no slipping in the low speed gear..." Yeah, right. Slip that low band and wear it out so you can experience the joy of replacing it. Not me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Sole - Castelldefels (Spain) on Tuesday, August 04, 2015 - 01:54 am:

Maybe that little treatise was written by a band lining manufacturer?

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration