Brass valve on intake

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Brass valve on intake
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By paul iverson freeport ill. on Monday, August 03, 2015 - 08:24 pm:

Our 16 has this valve and a lot of pictures of other cars have them also. Dykes manual from 1920 has a good explanation

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Monday, August 03, 2015 - 08:32 pm:

It may have had a priming valve mounted at one time, but that's not one. That's a drain type valve like for gas tank, radiator, or carb. Someone just used what was at hand to plug the hole.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould, Folsom, CA on Tuesday, August 04, 2015 - 04:41 pm:

These owner installed "air valves" were a popular addition back in the day. Many of the aluminum intake manifolds were drilled to accept an 1/8 NPT threaded petcock. The petcock was operated by twisting a rod running from the firewall to a hole in the valve handle. I had one on an unrestored 1910 I owned sometime back. It was sort of fun to use. When the car was running on flat ground, you would open it up and the car would hold rpms using less fuel. I always worried the engine would overheat, so I used it mainly to amuse/confuse passengers.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Tuesday, August 04, 2015 - 05:24 pm:

I've never understood the utility of these "air leak" devices. If you want to run a leaner mixture, why not adjust the mixture needle on the carb?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harris, Huntington Beach California on Tuesday, August 04, 2015 - 06:27 pm:

I use mine to shoot starter fluid in on VERY COLD mornings... Works great on a hand crank car. A lot cleaner than spraying sideways into the carb opening. My '15 has one, my '13 Speedster had one & our 1924 Studebaker has one as well.
My old '17 Indian Powerplus had a built-in air valve as described above. That was a Schebler carb standard feature on late teens Indians.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Kable - Kiama NSW OZ on Tuesday, August 04, 2015 - 07:30 pm:

Notes from motoring pages of the day recommend the extra air valve as a braking device more so that leaning off the mixture device and warn of the danger of burning valves if using it so.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration