Troy Windshield

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Troy Windshield
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gavin Harris (Napier, NZ) on Tuesday, August 04, 2015 - 04:22 am:

I am repairing this windscreen/windshield for use on my 1918 speedster/ pickup. The top half is standard Model T;
the bottom half is "Made by the Troy Carriage Sun - Shade Troy Ohio"

The profile ( round with channel inset) and width of the Troy frame is exactly the same as the model T .

The shape (as found) perfectly matches the scuttle on my car.

I would like to know what vehicle the Troy screen is likely to have been fitted to.

troy frametroy label

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gavin Harris (Napier, NZ) on Tuesday, August 04, 2015 - 11:13 pm:

bump

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Wednesday, August 05, 2015 - 11:26 am:

Gavin;
Ford used Troy's early on as I recall. For sure the shape is not Ford. :-) You might try asking here;
https://hcca.org/index.php
Horseless Carriage Club of America

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Wednesday, August 05, 2015 - 11:59 am:

It is my understanding that some 1909 Fords were equipped wooden frame Troy windshields from the factory.

Many makes of cars were equipped with wooden, brass or steel Troy windshields from the factory. My dad's 1910 IHC roadster was equipped with a brass Troy from the factory. On the brass windshields, the nameplate is usually on the wood filler board between the windshield and the firewall. Teens Stanley Steamers had steel Troy windshields from the factory.

If the Troy part of your windshield is steel and originally had that that curve in it, I would say it is from approximately 1913 or later.

Too bad the nameplate is messed up. That in itself would be worth something if the holes weren't enlarged.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gavin Harris (Napier, NZ) on Wednesday, August 05, 2015 - 10:03 pm:

Thanks guys.

Mark, I will have a go with HCCA.

Erik, yes the enlarged holes are a bummer. I plan on having a go at turning down the heads of the screws a bit.

I did a bit more research last night and found that the Troy Carriage Sun - Shade Co morphed into the Troy Bag co. but still haven't found any vehicles of this shape.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Wednesday, August 05, 2015 - 11:01 pm:

A number of American cars had round scuttles in the teens and early 20's. It's just finding which one matches. At lease HCCA will be a place to start.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration