What year is this steering column?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: What year is this steering column?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jamie Holmes on Tuesday, August 04, 2015 - 03:06 pm:

I figure this question has been posted 1000 times but I can't make the search feature work for some reason.

The quadrant, gear cover and cap are brass (despite the previous owners love of black paint)

No tube on the bottom for a horn wire.

Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jamie Holmes on Tuesday, August 04, 2015 - 03:19 pm:

Another question,

What length should the column be for a '15 Runabout?

Thanks again

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Tuesday, August 04, 2015 - 03:23 pm:

Tat is the one that took the push on ends on spark and gas.I'm guessing early 13 or 12 back.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Tuesday, August 04, 2015 - 03:23 pm:

Let's see the bracket at the firewall. It is 1914 or earlier. Need to see the other end to know how early it might be. Also need to know the length of the tube.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Tuesday, August 04, 2015 - 03:38 pm:

brass spider is a repo. spark & gas levers are 1912 back.charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jamie Holmes on Tuesday, August 04, 2015 - 03:46 pm:

Does this help?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, August 04, 2015 - 04:12 pm:

Based in what I see in the second Rodda book, I'm guessing 1911. I can't tell whether the mounting holes are tapered or drilled. If tapered, "early" 1911 or before. If drilled, later 1911. On the 1912 flange the two lower holes are not horizontal, the right hole being lower than the left.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Tuesday, August 04, 2015 - 04:18 pm:

From 1908 through 1915, the steering column changed a lot, unlike later years. The exact length of the tube and the shaft changed a few times, they were even different for certain body styles. The precise angle of the firewall bracket changed a couple times, and also was different for specific body styles. The construction of the base that bolted onto the firewall changed quite a bit. Even the location of one of the bolt holes was changed a couple times. There is also the knob and handle change.
When you figure the standard runabout/touring, towncar, and torpedo differences, plus the year change variations? There must be at least eight different steering columns on Ts before the basic standard 1915 and later column was introduced (and even it changed at least four times before 1919).
I don't know if any of the magazines or books have a definitive article on the various steering column changes or not. But I would sure love to see such an article.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jamie Holmes on Tuesday, August 04, 2015 - 04:22 pm:

From what you fellas are saying its no wonder it doesn't fit my '15 runabout. The angle of the mounting plate is wrong and the throttle rod isn't long enough to go into the lower support.

Oh well, I guess I am looking for a 1915 column.

Maybe I can post something in the classifieds and see if someone wants to trade. lol

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Tuesday, August 04, 2015 - 04:26 pm:

Actually the lower holes are not staggered for the 1912 model year. The staggered lower hole happened in calendar year 1912, model year 1913.

It is rough. I would call it a 1911 - 12 column. It is probably worth $600 - $700 to the right guy with the steering wheel. A 1915 column is much cheaper.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jamie Holmes on Tuesday, August 04, 2015 - 04:28 pm:

Steve,

The holes are straight drilled

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jamie Holmes on Tuesday, August 04, 2015 - 04:31 pm:

Royce,

Thanks for the information.

I would be happy to trade it off to someone who could use to get something I could use.

I realize its in rough shape.

Reminds me of a conversation between 2 of my cousins,

"Hey how come your stuff is stuff and all my stuff is crap"??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, August 04, 2015 - 05:03 pm:

Wayne, a lot of those changes are covered in the Rodda book. Unfortunately the photos are small and some aren't of the best quality, so it's tough to make out some of the details.

Jamie, I have a couple of 1915-1917 columns (small horn wire tube, button on top). I think there are enough good parts in them that I'll be able to make one good 1915 column out of them. The measurement from the upper surface of the quadrant (toward the driver) and the lower surface of the flange (against the firewall) is 29".

There are two steering wheel keys.

Looks like one of these collected water and froze, but the two should make one good column. The gear case on the top one appears to have traces of nickel plate, which would make it June/July 1917. Earlier 1917 cases were painted black. The case on the lower column is unpainted brass or bronze, which I believe means 1915-16.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration