Piston rings

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Piston rings
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Young in Mays Landing, NJ on Tuesday, August 04, 2015 - 05:23 pm:

I am about to install a set of Grant rings that were purchased along with my new Egge pistons. The oil ring is unlike any that I have used in the past and was wondering if any of you guys have anything to say about them. I don't like it. It consists of a corrugated inner piece with two plastic, colored, end caps and two thin steel rings. It seems that it would put excessive pressure on the bore. What do you all say?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Tuesday, August 04, 2015 - 05:46 pm:

Never seen the plastic end caps but sounds like what is supplied in many kits. The oil rings job is to wipe off not really seal. I think if you look at some oil rings, newer not T, you will see the two narrow ridges, top and bottom, with a shallow area between. The type you have now is of the same design only 3 pieces.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Young in Mays Landing, NJ on Tuesday, August 04, 2015 - 05:53 pm:

10 4. Here is a picture.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Tuesday, August 04, 2015 - 06:00 pm:

They sound identical to the oil rings that I installed in the 440 for my 1971 Plymouth GTX. The small colored plastic blocks on the ends of the corrugated spacer are there to prevent the user from accidentally overlapping the ends of the spacer.

They have worked fine in my GTX for almost 15 years and tens of thousands of miles. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Young in Mays Landing, NJ on Tuesday, August 04, 2015 - 06:00 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Young in Mays Landing, NJ on Tuesday, August 04, 2015 - 06:05 pm:

Resizing pictures is harder than a lot of things...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Tuesday, August 04, 2015 - 06:35 pm:

Yup, those look just like the ones I installed in the 440 in my 1971 Plymouth GTX, they work fine.

Here is a link to an earlier thread about resizing pictures:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/506218/541631.html?1431838921

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Young in Mays Landing, NJ on Tuesday, August 04, 2015 - 08:12 pm:

Thanks Mark. I got over it and just finished installing the pistons. The resizing link is appreciated, too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By joe bell on Tuesday, August 04, 2015 - 08:45 pm:

Those rings take a little longer to seal but they will last a life time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Tuesday, August 04, 2015 - 11:45 pm:

I don't think the ends of the spacer are plastic, they are coated with something so you can easily see if you have installed them with the ends overlapping.
That is a very common ring design. I have always had good luck with Grant Rings.
Grant rings are known to seat quickly.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Tuesday, August 04, 2015 - 11:57 pm:

The coloring on the ends of the center spacer may also be so you can see if the ends are lined up with the ring gap.
The spacer ends should never be at the ring gap.

Never put the ring gaps above the piston pin, Put the second ring's gap opposite the oil rings' two gaps.
In other words, if the bottom oil ring gap is toward the right front wheel place the other oil ring gap so it points to the right rear engine mount.
Then put the second ring's gap to the left side of the engine and the top ring to the right side.
The ring gap position is not as critical as the amount of ring gap.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Wednesday, August 05, 2015 - 08:38 am:

Aaron, the ones I used on my GTX did indeed have a small, colored, plastic block molded onto each end of the ring spacer. The directions explained that the blocks were there to prevent accidental overlap of the ends of the ring spacer.

Dave's rings look identical to the ones I installed in my GTX. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Wednesday, August 05, 2015 - 09:36 pm:

The plastic blocks on the expanding ring can be left in, they will not harm anything. You can also remove them, but you need to be sure that the ring does not overlap itself--which can happen pretty easily.

You put the expanding ring in first, followed by the upper and lower rails.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration