Split in brass neck on my car.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Split in brass neck on my car.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By HARRY A DAW Troy, Mo. on Tuesday, August 04, 2015 - 07:38 pm:

Getting my 1911 ready for Old Threasures at Mt Pleasent, Iowa and found a split in the brass neck. It is maybe 1/16" wide at the top and gets smaller as it goes down. It is a Brass Works radiator around 15 years old. I am sure it could be pulled together with a radiator hose clamp and soldered closed using the correct techniques. I need input on what are the right techniques, type of solder, type of iron or torch. I repair two way commercial radios and do a lot of soldering with silver based solder, flux, and irons that heat to 650 degrees. Help and advise would be welcome.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bruce Spainhower - Portland, Oregon on Tuesday, August 04, 2015 - 08:21 pm:

Silver solder is a good choice, but controlling the heat on thin material is tricky. Brass and silver have melting points that are really close. Call around and find a welding shop that can do Tig brazing with silicon bronze rod. It's one of those jobs that requires both skill and experience. I do most of my own metal work, but this is one I'd job out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By keith g barrier Savannah Tn. on Tuesday, August 04, 2015 - 08:30 pm:

Bruce is correct, I do my own radiator repair but have a jewelers torch to do the silver brazing. Solder would probably hold but in any case rad needs to come off then clean, clean, clean keep everything turned level as it is very hard to make solder run up hill. KGB

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By HARRY A DAW Troy, Mo. on Tuesday, August 04, 2015 - 08:51 pm:

I googled silicon bronze tig welding. Sounds like you guys are right on it. Don't know what kind of repairs if any that Brass Works does. I may check into that this Winter. There are no shops around here that I know if that doe that type of repair. I have heard of someone in Columbia, Mo that does brass radiator repair. May do some investigating. Have a couple of cracks in the head lights that need attention as well.
Thanks very much.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marc Roberts, York, Pennsylvania on Tuesday, August 04, 2015 - 09:23 pm:

Should such a crack be stop drilled until it can be repaired properly?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By HARRY A DAW Troy, Mo. on Tuesday, August 04, 2015 - 09:32 pm:

Wondered the same thing Marc. Could fill the drilled hole with silicon.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Dufault on Tuesday, August 04, 2015 - 09:44 pm:

Harry,

Before putting silicon on it, take a minute and read this:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/506218/558436.html?1438270031

of particular importance are the words of Ken Kopsky about silicone.

Good Luck !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By HARRY A DAW Troy, Mo. on Tuesday, August 04, 2015 - 09:51 pm:

Thanks Dave. I remember reading that post but forgot it. Mayby JB Weld on the inside of the neck if needed. The engine runs within temp standards so I should not have any antifreeze up there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Tuesday, August 04, 2015 - 11:34 pm:

Sounds like when they made the filler neck they did not stress relieve it. Most likely age crack. While you can use JB weld there is not real strength to it and with the heating and cooling expanding and shrinking it would most likely crack at the original split.

Tig welding by an expert is the best way to go but expect heat discoloration and some distortion. I would remove the neck tig weld it from the inside. Then polish and refinish. Reinstall the neck and then polish again.

just sayin'

brasscarguy

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration