Footman Loops

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Footman Loops
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Elliott on Tuesday, August 04, 2015 - 09:16 pm:

I'm finished putting the bow drill's on my 1914 Touring bows and was wondering where the footman loops are supposed to go. Are they supposed to attach in the curve of the front and rear bows, or off to the side on a flat area?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Tuesday, August 04, 2015 - 09:42 pm:

Pretty much right in the curves is what I've seen and done but, don't start drilling holes until you get a few more opinions.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Wednesday, August 05, 2015 - 07:42 am:

Bill,

The footman loops go right in the center of the curve. This is what centers the bow over the windshield, so be sure to get both in exactly the same place in the curve.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Wednesday, August 05, 2015 - 10:43 am:

According to the Ford print of the 1914 touring car top, the front loops are mounted so the center of the loop is 4-5/8" from the inside surface of the front bow. The rear loops are mounted so their centers are 20-1/2" from the center of the rear bow.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Wednesday, August 05, 2015 - 11:02 am:

RV, you are confusing me! 4 5/8" from what inside surface of the front bow?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Martin on Wednesday, August 05, 2015 - 10:21 pm:

Bill, R.V. is right on with the measurements (like he usually is...). My original top has the rear footman loops at 41-1/2" apart (20-3/4" from the center each). I understand why Ford measured the front loops the way R.V. described, but my front bow is slightly curved, so there isn't a flat inside surface to measure to. Therefore, if I measure from the center of the pin that mounts that socket/bow to the vertical socket, one side measures 28-1/2" and the other is 29" to the center of the loop. They are NOT in the center of the curve (on my car at least). This is an original top from a late '14 touring.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Thursday, August 06, 2015 - 01:13 pm:

Thanks for the kind remarks, but I'm just quoting from the print.

Larry, it's the part of the front top bow that is directly in front of your forehead when you're driving the car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Thursday, August 06, 2015 - 01:23 pm:

This may help. Here is detail from the print. Notice it calls for two strips of sheet brass between the front and second bows:

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration