Ring and pinion

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Ring and pinion
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By rick howerton on Tuesday, August 04, 2015 - 09:40 pm:

I have two rear ends that have the adjustable spool. I don`t think spacers behind pinion is going to help clearance between the ring and pinion. We even put spacers behind the ring gear. Still to much clearance, it makes noise going down a hill. Only thing I know what to do now is adjust the thrust washers. That will move the ring gear closer, then I will have to shim the end of one of the axles at the drum. Please give this a thought, since everyone is warmed up on rearends

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Tuesday, August 04, 2015 - 10:49 pm:

What is the clearance now?
Have you set the preload on the carrier with the housing assembled?
Could the clicking be a worn or loose U-joint?
What about loose spokes?
What condition are the ring and pinion in?
Could be several things if the preload is set. Maybe one thrust washer is a lot thicker then the other, try swapping them. The gears may be just worn out and changing the thrust washers might get you by for a time.
If you can post a photo of the gears we could maybe have a look see.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By rick howerton on Tuesday, August 04, 2015 - 11:43 pm:

Rear ends are together, and hooked up.Clearance WHEN WE PUT IT TOGETHER,WE COULD PUT A WRENCH INSIDE THE BALL IT WOULD MOVE BACK AND FORTH A GOOD QUARTER OR MORE AN INCH. I THINK THAT IS WAY TO MUCH. I DON`T KNOW WHAT PRELOAD IS. I HAS WIRE WHEELS, RING, AND PINION ARE NEW, U JOINT IS NEW. The thrust washers are new, We had to grind on them to get the two housing to go together. You might have something there, we`ll try swopping the thrust washers. Thank a lot!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Tuesday, August 04, 2015 - 11:54 pm:

Rick
If it was mine I would pull the right housing and try to determine for sure what needs to be moved.
You can put shims behind the ring gear (which leaves the carrier where it is). Sure seems like a unusual problem. What ratio gears are you running?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Noonan - Norton, MA. on Wednesday, August 05, 2015 - 12:24 am:

Rick, do you have any of the clubs books on the rear axle? Setting up a rear end should be done with a precision dial indicator to measure the correct ring and pinion clearance, not by just guessing what you think the distance may be. Rule of thumb is 0.010+/-0.002. So that basically means you should have between 0.008 and 0.012 final clearance in an ideal setup...Hope this helps.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By rick howerton on Wednesday, August 05, 2015 - 12:49 am:

The rearend that makes the noisey does have shims behind the ring gear I was told they are standard. I called the club today for the cd. I haven`t heard back yet from them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Wednesday, August 05, 2015 - 01:14 am:

The parts suppliers should have the book/cd in stock. I like the book as you can have it open while you work. There is no such thing as a standard shim for behind the ring gear, they did not come with them. You do have your choice of two thickness's but without the catalog in front of me I can't tell you off hand what they are.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Chaffin on Wednesday, August 05, 2015 - 01:19 am:

Rick. The first thing you must do in setting up a rear end is adjust the Drive shaft so it has no end play. Sounds like yours has way to much end play which will cause the clearance between ring gear and pinion to vary. It will also cause the rear end to be noisy. The pinion must be held in a fixed position so that the clearance is fixed. If you have the proper clearance it will not be noisy unless you have too much side play. Side play of the differential must be set to near zero, then set ring and pinion clearance to around 0.010 in. Get the book I wrote on rear ends from the MTFCA. It will lead you through setting up the rear end step by step. Do not cut corners or miss a step. Do it exactly as described and your rear end will be set up perfect. Of coarse make sure that all the parts are good parts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Barrett in Auburn Ca. on Wednesday, August 05, 2015 - 02:45 am:

Rick,
Get Glen's MTFCA book and treat it as gospel. I have an old, worn, greasy copy that is open every time I build a T rear end with or without Ruckstell. It will walk you through the whole process.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration