Cochrane trip

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Cochrane trip
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry Davis Houston TX. on Wednesday, August 05, 2015 - 08:22 am:

First, let me say that the
Cochrane Tour was an outstanding success. The tour was well planned, superbly staffed, and so well attended. As a winner of the Hard Luck Trophy I can say without reserve it was a great tour. For those who attended and wished to know the results of my engine tear down here it is.
First, it becomes apparent that the crank was "cracked" before we left for Bamff that morning. I wondered what that "shudder" was as I backed out of the Ramada that morning, a sound/vibration I've never witnessed in over 40 plus years of T'ing. But just as we were leaving on the return trip and just as I shifted into Warford 3rd all hell broke loose. First the cracked crank finally parted, caring with it the 3rd block main journal. This allowed the flywheel to dance around, sheering off magnets which punched a humongous hole in the hogshead. The aft portion of the severed crank allowed the 3rd piston to bang a crack in the Z head, bending the rod and cam. "woe is me, my life loves company". Ross L said he has never see one torn up this bad. There's a oily spot just out of Bamff where ole black marked it's spot. Les Schubert hauled her in. Jerry.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willie K Cordes on Wednesday, August 05, 2015 - 10:17 am:

Jerry, Sorry to hear about that major breakdown and even worse, On the First day.
My sons and myself also made a tour in Canada some years ago. I do not know if the same routes were use or not, but it was in the same location as the one you just went too.
I hope there was some space in other cars to catch a ride and complete the tour.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les VonNordheim on Wednesday, August 05, 2015 - 11:07 am:

Jerry, That's sad news. From your description, its apparent that the crankshaft broke before the third main journal/web let go. There was some discussion not too long ago that the third main journal/web would let go first causing the crank to break.
Thank god no one was hurt from flying bits.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry Davis Houston TX. on Wednesday, August 05, 2015 - 01:24 pm:

Les, not sure what went first, chicken or egg, but the last shudder locked the wheels. I was traveling at a low moderate speed having just gotten up enough speed to get into Warford high. Bits of hogshead and oil went everywhere. The Warford neutral allow me and other bystanders to push off the road. The Foothills club entertained Marge and I Royally. Willie, we were driven every day. They were not going to let us leave early, not that we would have, but.....made a bunch of new friends. Jerry....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry Davis Houston TX. on Wednesday, August 05, 2015 - 01:26 pm:

Les, I think it was crank then 3rd main.....but anything could have happened. Jerry.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Wednesday, August 05, 2015 - 01:32 pm:

Jerry
Glad I could help and sorry for your problems. So what was wrong with the Excursion?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry Davis Houston TX. on Wednesday, August 05, 2015 - 04:44 pm:

Cam shaft position sensor. It was a recall item in 07 which I had replaced. Little did I know the csps continues to be an Achilles heel for the 7.3 On top of all that the new Ford Alternator I had replaced in May went out on the way back, leaving us on the AAA tow once again. It was warranty but cost us an extra day on the way back. We ate all of the pop corn in the dealership before they told us the closest Alt was in Lubbock and we were in Amarillo. Anyway it all turned out OK.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ross Benedict - Calgary, Alberta on Wednesday, August 05, 2015 - 06:49 pm:

Jerry, we all enjoyed your company, but Thursday, while viewing sights in the rain, Marge tried to disown you, as I recall. (oh ya I have a picture as to why, too). I trust the hard luck award will find it's place on the mantel. I'm sure Marge will understand. I hope the 'picture' is safely displayed as well . . .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Wednesday, August 05, 2015 - 07:21 pm:

Jerry
Interesting about the cam position sensor. I have replaced 2 on my 2000 7.3. One started to act up and I drove into a dealer in time. The other changed on "recall". No problems for 10 years, but I wonder if I shouldn't carry one in the glove box. They are easy to change!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Dufault on Wednesday, August 05, 2015 - 07:45 pm:

The plain, simple reliable T has it's merits.

A Crank position sensor (or so the dealer said) disabled my 2005 Dodge Dakota.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Barrett in Auburn Ca. on Wednesday, August 05, 2015 - 10:01 pm:

My model T has a camshaft position sensor. It's called the timer.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration