Starving...

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Starving...
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Aldrich Orting Wa on Wednesday, August 05, 2015 - 11:47 am:

1926 Tudor with a rebuilt engine before I bought it, maybe 500 miles on new engine but probably much less (I know the car's history).

Had it for a couple of years. Always a strong runner.

Put a high compression head on. No change but ran it that way for a year. I was pretty surprised that there was no change but since I ground out the combustion chambers for piston clearance it kinda makes sense (block had been decked). Took it back off and again no change. Car is still a strong runner.

On a trip to town (20 miles round trip) it started running "weak" at higher RPM's. Just no giddyup.

Changed points, plugs, condenser, rotor, cap, plugs wires and coil. I'm pretty darned sure it isn't electrical which took me back to my original thought... it's starved for gas.

Changed to a known good Holley NH. NO CHANGE! Checked and cleaned sediment bulb. No problem there. Also there is an inline fuel filter which is clean. Again no problem. Fuel runs fast and free through both.

Suggestions?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darel J. Leipold on Wednesday, August 05, 2015 - 11:53 am:

Sounds like an air leak on the head gasket, drawing in air on the downward stroke.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Wednesday, August 05, 2015 - 01:16 pm:

The fact that the HC head made no difference should indicate that something was wrong even then. Have you done a compression test?

Also, look for intake manifold leaks at the gland rings.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Wednesday, August 05, 2015 - 01:25 pm:

John - Can't remember if you are running four coils on magneto or a distributor on your tudor,......???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Aldrich Orting Wa on Wednesday, August 05, 2015 - 02:08 pm:

Harold,

Distributor

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Wednesday, August 05, 2015 - 05:42 pm:

John - Well then if it's an ignition problem, at least it's not a matter of four coils "out of whack", so that's good. And if it is ignition, just running "out of poop" at high speed, only thing I can think of is trying different point gap or spark plug gap. It really doesn't sound like an ignition problem at all though,....more like carburetor. Did you change anything or make any "adjustments" since it was last running okay at high speed? If you've got good fuel flow when breaking the fuel line connection at the carburetor, then maybe something partly obstructing main jet. I just talked to a guy at the Mrs. Turner's Cruise-In last Friday who had a "diminished power" problem with a Model A, and he found out it was the main jet partially clogged up, and he cleared it up just by screwing the dash adjustment down until it seated (very gently of course) and he said that immediately clear up the problem. Otherwise, unless something has changed the float level, I guess the easiest way to check for carburetor problem is to try another carburetor,.....like off of your touring or Renea's runabout. Or, maybe possible vacuum someplace? Hang in there John,....you'll find it,........harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Wednesday, August 05, 2015 - 07:01 pm:

Maybe the timing is not set right. Not running good at speed is sometimes caused by retarded timing.

Does the distributor have centrifugal advance? Does the distributor have the ability to be advanced by moving the spark lever?

I would ditch the inline fuel filter first.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Wednesday, August 05, 2015 - 07:46 pm:

RE;"I would ditch the inline fuel filter first."
That was my suggestion on Fordbarn also;
http://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=174581

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Wednesday, August 05, 2015 - 08:15 pm:

Any fuel filter is a restriction, a dirty one even more so. In a gravity feed system it has a far greater effect. At least bypass it as a trial and see what happens.

Hope this helps.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Wednesday, August 05, 2015 - 08:52 pm:

Harold,

FYI, on a Model A Ford 1928-1931 if the condenser in the distributor is going bad it can sometimes cause the car to be able to start and run at low RPMs ok but to run poorly at higher RPMs. Or at least that was my experience with my Model A back in 1981.

Note John said he changed points, plugs, condenser, rotor, cap, plugs wires and coil. So unless the condenser he installed was also failing, that should not be the cause.

If you decide to rig a temporary fuel source -- be very careful. Several cars and one B-29 were burned up because the temporary fuel tank fell, leaked, spilled, etc. and fed a fire. [Ref Kee Bird scroll down to Recivery/Restoration section last two paragraphs at: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kee_Bird ]

Good luck and please keep us posted on what you discover.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Aldrich Orting Wa on Thursday, August 06, 2015 - 07:45 pm:

Replaced the rings and glands. Old ones were definitely bad and there was "some" improvement.

Will do a compression test next.

While under the car reinstalling the exhaust pipe I found a hand written note on the underside of the splash shield that said "Hello! New motor in 2002. Ron Kipling".

Ron put a new engine in it and then parked it. (he was a known local "rich guy" who had WAY too many toys). I bought it and put the few miles it has on it. Ron passed away a few years ago and the Tudor came from his estate.

:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mike conrad on Thursday, August 06, 2015 - 10:23 pm:

What else can you tell us a about the rich guy? I think there's a little more to Ron than that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mike conrad on Thursday, August 06, 2015 - 10:23 pm:

What else can you tell us a about the rich guy? I think there's a little more to Ron than that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mike conrad on Thursday, August 06, 2015 - 11:11 pm:

JOHN I am sorry for my foolish message above, it was rude and arrogant of me. I will be stepping away from this forum be for a attack another one of my friends.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Aldrich Orting Wa on Friday, August 21, 2015 - 01:12 pm:

Ditched the fuel filter. No change. Compression test next.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roar Sand on Friday, August 21, 2015 - 01:30 pm:

Mike,
What is wrong with being a "rich guy"? I wish I was one!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Aldrich Orting Wa on Saturday, August 22, 2015 - 12:08 pm:

I'd like to be "rich" with friends and "comfortable" financially.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Aldrich Orting Wa on Tuesday, August 25, 2015 - 01:04 pm:

Been watching Steve Jelf's battle which mirrors my own. Unfortunately the 26-27 tanks are not being reproduced. I have a spare but I was hoping to avoid using it...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Tuesday, August 25, 2015 - 01:17 pm:

John if it's a vacuum leak at high speed then if you pull out the choke a little it would pick up some power at least that would give you a starting point.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration