1914 Rear Top Bow

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: 1914 Rear Top Bow
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Elliott on Wednesday, August 05, 2015 - 09:00 pm:

On the profile of the 1914 Touring, does the rear top bow overhang the back of the car and if so, by how much?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Wolf on Wednesday, August 05, 2015 - 09:23 pm:

No, straight up and down.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Spaziano, Bellflower, CA. on Wednesday, August 05, 2015 - 09:32 pm:

Yes. Approximately 2 5\8".

This may help: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/331880/369644.jpg

It's for a '15, but the dimensions are basically the same.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Matheny on Wednesday, August 05, 2015 - 09:46 pm:

I like straight up and down. Look at Bruce's book, Model T Ford, the car that... pg. 188. It looks straight up and down to me. I will do mine straight up and down right or wrong, lol.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Spaziano, Bellflower, CA. on Wednesday, August 05, 2015 - 10:03 pm:

The link I posted is for what I believe is a Ford dimensioned drawing.

However, I'm a true believer in whoever has the title and the funds, get's to do it whatever the way they want it.

When you're building cars as fast and as cheap as Henry built 'em, I'm sure they came all different ways. No time for measuring. The Rip Van Winkle car proved that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Wednesday, August 05, 2015 - 11:13 pm:

Bill-
The rear curtain of the top should roughly follow the line of trajectory from the back of the back seat, so the rear bow should overhang the back of the car.

The top will shrink in time and the rear curtain will take on a more vertical appearance.

-Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Wednesday, August 05, 2015 - 11:47 pm:

Keith has made a good point. The top will shrink over time and the back bow will be pulled forward. To my eye, a forward leaning back panel makes the car look hunched up. If you start vertical, the shrinking top will drag the bow forward to give this hunched look. His "line of trajectory" following the back panel is about right. I use a plumb line from the top bow and measure 1 1/2" at the top of the back panel. This is one time when more is better than too little.

Hope this helps.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Thursday, August 06, 2015 - 08:07 am:

Originally the rear bow hangs over the rear about 1". It won't move forward when the top shrinks because the rear straps won't let it move forward.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Thursday, August 06, 2015 - 01:09 pm:

Mike is right; that's the overhang according to the Ford print of the 1914 top.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Matheny on Thursday, August 06, 2015 - 02:52 pm:

I stated that on p. 188 it looked to be straight up and down. I looked at it again and I believe it does have overhang, so when I do mine I will give it some overhang, but will use a plumb line and perhaps some guessing until I am happy with the look.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration