How true should the wheels be?????

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: How true should the wheels be?????
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Patrick Martin on Wednesday, August 05, 2015 - 09:31 pm:

Ive noticed that since respoking my wheels that they run a bit out of true?

I have all Ford parts but I noticed that one hub is machined with an offset thickness. Also when I jack them up and spin them, the rim looks to be wobbling?????

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Thursday, August 06, 2015 - 02:45 am:

When I learned front end alignment the said a quarter inch of wobble is the limit.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Thursday, August 06, 2015 - 08:11 am:

Yeah, I have between 3/16ths and 1/4" of wobble depending on which wheel (and two of them are fairly new Stutzmans). _I can feel the car gently wagging its tail on smooth roads and that used to drive me to distraction. _Now I don't even notice it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Thursday, August 06, 2015 - 08:53 am:

My '13 that I got this past winter has quite a disturbing wobble, really realized how bad it was the next day when I took the '15 out for a spin which was smooth as silk. Jacked up the front end, spun both wheels, the right one really wobbles as it spins, clearly a warped rim. Joe Bell gave me a good used one, and it'll go on that car very soon. It was all of quarter inch out, maybe even more. Left side is "do-able" at least for now.

So, Patrick, either find a good used one, or get a new one from one of the vendors. That wobbling will just add to the wear and tear on the entire steering system, not to mention it gives you that unsafe feeling buzzing down the road at 35 mph!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Thursday, August 06, 2015 - 10:41 am:

Patrick,

As others say, 1/4" is about the limit. However, as long as your car steers well and there is no noticeable side effects from the wobble it's probably nothing to worry about.

The only word of caution is to be aware that hub flanges can sometimes develop a crack where they meet the hub body. A cracked flange will cause a wobble, so will one that's only bent a little.

In all of this, I'm referring to the entire wheel wobbling. If the wheel is running true and just the rim wobbles, a new rim may be the cure, or carefully remounting it to get it evenly positioned on the wheel may be the answer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Thursday, August 06, 2015 - 01:05 pm:

Sometimes the tires themselves aren't straight.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Thursday, August 06, 2015 - 03:12 pm:

Very true RV. At the prices paid for a set of all whites i would think you would want far less than 1/4?? Bud in Wheeler,Mi.Will you be at the OCF this year RV?? Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Thursday, August 06, 2015 - 04:35 pm:

It might be that the flange is slightly bent. I had a wheel which had a wobble, I rotated the hub in the spokes and tightened it in a different location on the hub, and the wobble disappeared. Worth a try. It might or might not work.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John F. Regan on Thursday, August 06, 2015 - 08:18 pm:

Somewhere in my archival info on hubs, wheels, rims and spokes there is a drawing of either the wheel or rim that calls out 1/8" of wobble as being Ford's limit but I can't recall if that was 1/8" in either direction (1/4" total) or just 1/8" total wobble but I distinctly remember 1/8". If I run across it again I will post it and state where I found it so you will know which drawing it is from.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Thursday, August 06, 2015 - 08:30 pm:

That's the plan, Bud!

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration