It went together too easy

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: It went together too easy
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David J. Holland Ohio on Thursday, August 06, 2015 - 12:29 pm:

I must have done something wrong.

Don't put your tools back until after the test drive.

Did I put the gasket on before I bolted up the short pan?

Your experience or boner moment?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tim moore, "Island City" MI on Thursday, August 06, 2015 - 01:56 pm:

Built up an overhead motor from bare block all the way through and transmission. Put the head on last and dropped in push rods...they fell in too deep. I had installed the cam with no lifters thinking the push rods ran off the cam.

Tim Moore

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Zachary Dillinger - Charlotte, MI on Thursday, August 06, 2015 - 02:29 pm:

Well, being somewhat new to the hobby (owned my car since 2013), I can say I haven't had time to make too many mistakes yet. My biggest mistake was using wire to tie the bands together when completing a lining change. I didn't realize how dumb this was until one day my magneto didn't work any more... luckily the errant wire had lodged against the bendix and didn't cause any damage, but it did take me a long time to figure out what was going on.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Thursday, August 06, 2015 - 08:09 pm:

My biggest, uh-oh was to leave a rag in the trans when changing bands. It requires a complete teardown of the engine, to get all the shredded pieces out after grinding the rag to shreds. Now the rags are counted going in, and counted coming out. I also write down the number of rags going in, and compare that number to the number coming out. (just in case my memory fails me)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Barrett in Auburn Ca. on Thursday, August 06, 2015 - 09:24 pm:

A local guy put an engine together, then saw the inside oil tube in the parts box. Tear down time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Todd, ............Red Deer, Alberta on Friday, August 07, 2015 - 10:29 am:

Years ago I heard of a local shop that had done a valve and ring job on a flathead V-8, after putting it all back together and starting it up it was making odd rattling noises, when they pulled the intake manifold to take a look they found a ball pein hammer that had been left in the valley.

(Message edited by Ken_Todd on August 07, 2015)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Friday, August 07, 2015 - 11:03 am:

Got every thing together ready to install the next day then remembered the next morning that I had not put the cotter pin in the clutch drum lock screw.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Lyon, PDX, OR. on Friday, August 07, 2015 - 11:58 pm:

I pulled the intake manifold off my 312ci Ford and found my lost 9/16 socket in the valve passage in the head. Just recently I cut a new carb gasket for my '24 T and after installation the car wouldn't run. Three days later I sat up in bed and remembered I hadn't cut the hole for the fuel passage!!! Don.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration