Value for a 1927 TT

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Value for a 1927 TT
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jacob Faulkner on Thursday, August 06, 2015 - 07:25 pm:

I would like to know the value of this 1927 model TT it has many extra parts such as motors and all painted parts just ready to get put back together

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John McGinnis in San Jose area, CA. on Thursday, August 06, 2015 - 07:55 pm:

How about a better..or more pictures.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Thursday, August 06, 2015 - 08:08 pm:

Yeah, need more pictures and info. Does it run? The after-market body and "bed" may or may not help value.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jacob Faulkner on Thursday, August 06, 2015 - 08:16 pm:

The tt is a Gulf oil tanker it is all just in pieces I have not tried starting it but they told me the motor ran when they parked it

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jacob Faulkner on Thursday, August 06, 2015 - 08:19 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Thursday, August 06, 2015 - 10:15 pm:

There is no value in a TT. That special place is reserved for cars with
video systems, backup cameras, cruise control, and computer controlled
everything.

"Give me convenience, or give me death !"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron in Central Massachusetts on Thursday, August 06, 2015 - 11:56 pm:

What a helpful answer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, August 07, 2015 - 12:25 am:

Ah, the classic "ran when parked". $1500 to $5000. Just guessing because of limited info. "...many extra parts such as motors..." What extra parts? How many motors? What condition? Was the engine/transmission rebuilt by a competent shop, or just painted? Sorry I can't be more helpful. Lots of good pictures showing everything would help.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Noonan - Norton, MA. on Friday, August 07, 2015 - 12:53 am:

Jacob, i love any form a T takes, as long as it gets to be on the road again where it belongs. TT'S get a bad rap because they are slow...sometimes slower is better than the scrapyard in my opinion..post some good pictures, and you will get a better response..lets save history while we still have the chance.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Friday, August 07, 2015 - 01:24 am:

Ronzo ~

If you had a clue, you'd know that the only T's I own are TT's, thusly, being the vehicle of powerful
intellect that you have shown yourself to be, you'd have no problem picking up the humor intended.

But that's not the kind of guy you are. We saw that over on the other thread.

... but thanks for playing ! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jacob Faulkner on Friday, August 07, 2015 - 08:33 am:

I don't have any more pictures at the moment and the engine and trans were professionally rebuilt both engines it has every new part and every original part to go with it and also including many extra parts original everything has been painted and just is all in pieces if i put gas in it the TT would start it has all new brakes everything upholstery

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Dufault on Friday, August 07, 2015 - 09:17 am:

Jacob,

There really is no way to give you a respectable answer to your query.

There is a common saying on this Forum :

It ran when parked...

maybe it did...maybe yours will - if, and when it is put back together. However, there have been many reports - some true, some not so true - about the veracity of that statement.

You are asking for an appraisal, really. I do not know your background, age, nor experience in life, but to give an honest appraisal of anything, many questions need to be asked, answers given and facts researched.

For example...look for the value of a "modern" car online - Kelly Blue Book, or another site of your choice (Edmond's ?). Many questions need to be answered about the car before the computer gives you an answer....and that answer is not always accurate!

For you to determine the value, it would be best to make friends with some of the members of your local club...have them come look at your possessions, and perhaps they can give you an idea as to what the value would be in your area. Things seem to be more valuable in California than in the remote regions of New Hampshire.

I don't mean to be flip, but it is impossible to give you a fair and reasonable answer to your question without a lot more information.

Again, to put your question another way - and please understand that I in no way mean to discourage you - but to give you an idea as to the difficulty of arriving at a truthful, reasonable answer to your question --- I will pose this question to you:
"What is the value of a mountain cabin in Coos County, New Hampshire, last inhabited in 2003?"

Sincerely,

Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Friday, August 07, 2015 - 09:50 am:

Jacob,

The problem is ...

You are trying to sell someone elses' project.

What someone else told you about it may or may not be what you actually have.

Put an ad on your local craigslist.

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ryan in Illinois on Friday, August 07, 2015 - 09:56 am:

Jacob, TT's are the worst to value. Unlike their car-cousins which were all built the same way off the assembly line according to year, the TT's were never the same. They came off the line as chassis and were taken to body manufactures to have cabs and rear ends added.

The guys buying TT's are quirky about them (myself included). For example, most T folks aren't interested in owning a TT that goes 15 mph, as most people live in urban or suburban areas and don't want to get rear-ended and stabbed to death with the splinters from their TT during the accident. Most TT guys would never let their TT go and have found a way around the speed problem (mine drives on my own roads at my place and never leaves the property)

But even myself, who set out only to find a TT, was only interested in one with original wood, only wanted a wooden cab, and only wanted a flatbed stake truck. I looked for over a year to find one, and when I did, I paid $6500 for it...put together and running like a top. I then put a crapload of work into stripping down the original stakes and now my truck is worth...probably the same amount.

A truck like what you have pictured sold in my area recently for about $1500 at an auction. But it wasn't a well advertised auction so only a few guys were there for the truck. Also, it was in pieces, like yours, and "ran when parked...just needs some gas". (My answer to that is always "Here's some gas! Fire it up for me"). Ran when parked is bull*&%$...if it is so easy to get going that you insinuate it was "just running"...then the owner would have put gas in it to show you it runs and then add a grand to his price.

My point is this: A TT truck is a terrible thing to try and value. For example, I personally would not even consider buying the truck you have pictured. It has new wood mixed with the old which doesn't look right to me...It has a tank for the back, not a flatbed, which means I can't use it for anything really. If someone said to me "You can have this truck for $500", I wouldn't take it (although those tanks are pretty cool!). Meanwhile, I could set my truck out for sale for well under what I think its value is and someone actually wanting a TT could say "The wood looks too old, I want something that looks like it just rolled off the line!" or "The paint is scratched", I don't want a stake bed" or "I want something faster" or "I want a truck with a dump bed or tank" or "I want a stake bed truck, but with Ford Script".

Of all the T's, TT's are the worst for determining a value. Think of buying a TT like paying money for a painting from a local artist....it is only worth what you think it is, and its true worth is in how much you plan on enjoying it. The end. And if you read all of this, I'll throw a number at you that is as accurate as what I know and don't know about your truck, which is not much and a lot, respectively: $3500.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Friday, August 07, 2015 - 10:22 am:

Ah, the old trick of laying out a piece of plywood for some extra storage. Don't think there's a bed there at all. The cab work looks OK at 10 feet. 2 points: title and it's a non-running truck. No title? Walk. Non runner? You don't know what's going on in there. There may be tons of parts but what's useable/sellable? I'm with Ryan. $3000/3500.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John McGinnis in San Jose area, CA. on Friday, August 07, 2015 - 10:59 am:

Looks like junk to me....$1k.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ryan in Illinois on Friday, August 07, 2015 - 11:07 am:

I should mention that my expert (lol) valuation included the fact that you said there was a tank involved that has Mobile painted on the side. Those could sell alone for $800. I've seen one sell at an auction for that. I've also seen a tank sell for $1. So again....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, August 07, 2015 - 11:46 am:

No, he said

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Friday, August 07, 2015 - 11:59 am:

Dave, Jim, Ryan and Charlie - Thank you to each of you for truthfully giving the important questions so that Jacob knows the difficulty of trying to determine the value of a TT like his.

If we had a "FAQ" (Frequently Asked Questions) section on this site, the questions you raised could be the nucleus for the question: What is my TT Truck worth?

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Horlick in Penn Valley, CA on Friday, August 07, 2015 - 12:17 pm:

I really love tank trucks. You don't see them often. They are big and heavy and pretty much useless for anything but to inspire awe in all nearby motorheads.

If I had a chance on that truck I would buy it just because it would be so cool to look at. In fact I would get a lot of enjoyment time out of it each and every time I chose to drive it anywhere. Maybe a half hour down to the corner!

Model T's don't get much cooler than this! IMHO,TH

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Friday, August 07, 2015 - 12:25 pm:

Way I do it is part value
Set good wheels + tires $1500
Motor 750 if running good if proven rebuilt $1500+
Frame 0
Rearend is it high or low geared or rustle
Headlights 50
And so on just add that number up that's a ballpark number
But seriously it's worth what you and another agrees it's worth like the 50k tt sold at Barrett jackson

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jacob Faulkner on Friday, August 07, 2015 - 12:30 pm:

This truck is currently at a restoration shop so the story about it is the guy who was having it restored recently passed and the truck was handed over to the shop for payment of what has already been completed at the moment the truck has been stripped to the frame and been built up to the current picture as for other parts their are multiple engines and old and new parts all of the remaining pieces have already been painted and ready to be put back together but the shop is just wanting to get rid of it because of the money being lost

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Friday, August 07, 2015 - 12:30 pm:

I agree so much Terry tanker a kool toy to enjoy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Dufault on Friday, August 07, 2015 - 12:50 pm:

So the questions are really:

"What is Jacob willing to offer the shop?"

and

what will the shop accept?

Jacob, this is a perfect example of a willing buyer coming to agreement with a willing seller. As you have read, TT's are valued in the eyes of the beholder...they are not 2016 F-150s that you can price at different dealers. They are "one of a kind" and have a different value for each person.

Many of us (myself included) have paid more for a vehicle than an amount it would get on a resale...(it called my name so often that I could no longer resist!)..just be careful...you know what you can afford to "play" with.

Perhaps you are new to the hobby - if so, please do yourself a favor and meet with some other like minded "old car addicts" and get their opinion and thoughts. It would be so much more enjoyable to you if you had a "fun" vehicle that did not cause you to spend food money.

Good Luck! Happy T - ing!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Friday, August 07, 2015 - 01:57 pm:

Zoomed in on those 2 photos and its clear the chassis is untouched, no shiny paint, so condition of the running gear is in question. Rear tires look old, spokes aren't painted fresh, so condition of the costly parts is unknown.

The rear axle is standard TT. Parts under the rear of the chassis are a couple of rusty running boards, and two starter cores, and a worn looking hood panels.

As for the restoration, appears the body has been partially redone using new wood hopefully patterned off the original commercial body, the panels seem to be steel, the wood is fresh. Doors are wrapped but not installed, don't know if glass is there, but no safety glass is in the new wood framed windshield. But looked close at 400x at the dash and the wood is cutaway there for the coil box, which looks to be attached to a metal firewall. That isn't a practical way to do it, seems cobbled. And the sill risers for the floorboards are missing, so extra wood work is need to finish that body.

To me, the restoration $$ are likely in the new wood and partial body construction. And no way to know clearly at "all parts are there" to finish.

Experience is that most all 'dissembled antique cars', or projects in boxes and crates, are missing major and minor parts.....that is just fact.

It's a TT project, not running, chassis and engine/trans condition unknown, and needs a lot of parts and labor to finish, even then the completed body is just a fabricated one, and the bed or tank if present, would be more work.

Project value $1,500-$2,500 tops, based on no chassis work or engine running, and that should include a clear title. That's north FL or lower south east value. :-)

This is a local well- running TT chassis, rebuilt all the way , new engine parts, bearings, bushings, wiring, and will become just a rustic cut-down TT, with buckboard seat and wood flat bed for farm fun. Chassis has $2800 in parts invested, owner labor excluded. New radiator and tires just added more $$ .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harris, Huntington Beach California on Friday, August 07, 2015 - 02:02 pm:

I'll give you a real life example of a similar situation: About 30 years ago a local friend took a complete 1932 Ford V8 Stake Bed in to a restoration shop for a ground up restoration. After several years of paying invoices, he decided to add up the bills & found that he had in excess of $60,000 invested and the truck was still unfinished. It was drivable and he went over & pulled it out of the shop. Years passed with the truck just sitting in his garage. He then got further disgusted with the whole thing and parked it outside. He finally sold it for $2500 at the Long Beach T Swap Meet. So, in a free market, it is supply & demand. It doesn't matter how much was spent... just how much you will pay & they will accept. The history is just sunk costs and it is costing them daily for the space. Good luck:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Friday, August 07, 2015 - 11:13 pm:

Dan nice chassis I got about 2k in mine and have yet drive it but 90% of the parts I had as left overs and if I didn't build it they just gone on ebay cheap

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Lovejoy, So Cal on Saturday, August 08, 2015 - 12:27 am:

I am almost done going through my TT, bought it as just the chassis for too much - not running 3,000. Got it running and did not drive it - just to slow for L.A. traffic. Found it to be in very worn shape, have refurbished the trans, rear end, front end, rebuilt the wheels, built a body of sorts and am making a real effort to have it on the road finally for Gunthers Yard meet a local event and one of my favorites :-)

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration