Dayton Wire Wheel removal - help!

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Dayton Wire Wheel removal - help!
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Keiss on Thursday, August 06, 2015 - 11:47 pm:

1912 Dayton Hub
I have recently joined the MTFCA and have 1912 and 1923 Model T's.
The 1912 has Dayton Wire wheels. One brass hub center / hub cap has been sheared off and I am unable to remove the wheel.
- has anyone had a similar experience / advice as to how to remove the cap and wheel?
- Does anyone have a replacement hub to sell or know of a vendor who has these?
Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan McEachern on Friday, August 07, 2015 - 01:00 am:

Drill into the cap by drilling down along the length of the cap, staying away from the threads in the hub. Do this in several places around the cap and it is possible to split the portion of the cap and remove it in pieces. Takes time but it is possible to save the wheel center and hub if you go slow.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Keiss on Friday, August 07, 2015 - 10:21 am:

Hod deep would the holes need to be drilled? I was thinking in the .75" to 1" range?
Thanks for the feedback.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Putnam, Bluffton, Ohio on Friday, August 07, 2015 - 12:03 pm:

I have had the same type of problem and was able to save both the hub and the wheel center. I do not know what type of machinery you have access to, but I used a milling machine to cut away the shards of the broken cap that were above the threads. Then I used a MODIFIED hole saw to cut between the wheel center and the hub threads, neither touching the center or the hub threads.
The hole saw was 2 1/2 inch with a piece of broken power hack saw blade tacked to the inside which gave me a ID of 2 5 /32". That is just barely over the thread size of the hub.
Clean up of shards
Hub saw 1
Beginning of saw cut.
Hub saw
Modified hole saw
Hub saw
Pieces of broken hub cap removed

I have wheel hub castings available.
Dayton casting

Be patient it can be done.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warwick Landy Traralgon Australia on Friday, August 07, 2015 - 08:20 pm:

Wow Jack, what a great description with pictures as well! I thought the request was a tricky one but as usual someone on the forum bas been there done that and is willing to share. Well done. Responses like yours make this forumm great.
Good luck with the job Steve and hope you can get your wheels back on soon and go touring.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Keiss on Saturday, August 08, 2015 - 01:46 pm:

Jack,
Other than a drill press, I have no direct access to shop equipment and will check on what may be available locally.
Do these wheels/ caps have different handed threads?
I appreciate the great description and photos of the process.
Thank you again.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Putnam, Bluffton, Ohio on Saturday, August 08, 2015 - 02:34 pm:

Steve: The hub/caps came in both right hand and left hand threads. Right side of car got left hand threads, etc. On the inside of the hub for the rear wheels there is a stamp stating which side of the car that hub is used. "Right side" or "left side". The fronts are also marked but you wont be able to see it until you remove the wheel.
If I can be of any assistance please contact me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Keiss on Saturday, August 08, 2015 - 06:06 pm:

Will do and Thank you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Verne Shirk on Saturday, August 08, 2015 - 07:52 pm:

I have purchased some Dayton hubs from Jack and can say he does top quality work. If you are considering hubs, I would highly recommend his.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration