OT WINDOWS 10

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: OT WINDOWS 10
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White - Sheridan, MI on Friday, August 07, 2015 - 07:19 pm:

Beware. Check it out before you down load it. Wish I had. It's confusing, slow (supposed to speed up once it learns your computer habits), omits some previous features or charges for them. No option on accepting download updates. Wants to know what ever you do on line. Don't know if I'm using the computer or it's using me.
It does have an option to restore to WIN 7 or 8.1. if you installed the "Up Grade to WIN 10" within the past 30 days. After that it starts to remove old WIN files to make more room. I restored to WIN 7.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Philip Berg on Friday, August 07, 2015 - 07:34 pm:

I just upgraded this afternoon, yes some features are not in Win 10 but I had them with Win7 and they are still there. Not sure which apps you have to pay for?

My computer runs fine, only issue I have is that my fifteen year old graphics card is not compatible so I guess I'll have to upgrade finally. Not a big issues for me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Friday, August 07, 2015 - 07:57 pm:

Thanks for the heads up Gary. On our old spare computer I did click the link to "get in line" for the so-called upgrade, but hesitantly. Now I'll just ignore it and not do it. Hopefully it doesn't do it automatically. I suspect I would have to "make it" do it. Otherwise, I'm happy as a pig in slop that I finally took the plunge and got an I-Mac for our main computer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Friday, August 07, 2015 - 08:27 pm:

I downloaded the 3rd day. I agree it is slower in some things, but it is also more stable. My son said it has been upgraded more for programmers than us lowly folk.

Edge is better than IE.

Will see over time how well it works.

It does keep my password on this site so I do not have to sign in every time I post.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Schultz_Sheboygan,WI on Friday, August 07, 2015 - 08:35 pm:

Upgrade was painless on my laptop (win 8.1). I left the windows 7 computer alone. I like 10 more than 8.1. I'm even using XP on another computer just so my old Quick Books software still works. As far as all that reporting back to Microsoft with 10, I turned those off during the setup.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tyrone Thomas - Topeka KS on Friday, August 07, 2015 - 08:39 pm:

My grandson uploaded 10 unknown to me. I had 8.1 and hated it. I wish I had 7 back. It was old but way better than the stuff (not the word I truly have for it).
You know you only get a one year script of ten unless you buy it. I can only guess it reverts back to whatever you had prior.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bud Holzschuh - Panama City, FL on Friday, August 07, 2015 - 09:24 pm:

I've had Windows 10 running for over 3 months now (insider program) and it really rocks. It's quick and MUCH better than Win 8.1.

Where most make a big mistake is selecting a "Microsoft account" when installing. Select a local account or your Win 10 installation will want to "phone home" about EVERYTHING!

Although its a good operating system, it is very invasive. Microsoft's new business model wants to collect all the data it can about you and your online habits. (Kinda like Google). Do a search on "Windows 10 privacy" and you will find articles on how to turn on the many privacy settings.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marvin Konrad on Friday, August 07, 2015 - 11:43 pm:

Repeating what I'd mentioned on the 'Slow Forum' thread... Our IT-programmer daughter recommended "waiting until December or so to take the free download. Allow Microsoft to get the normal bugs out', since it is a free download until next July." Bud, thanks for the privacy tip.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, August 08, 2015 - 02:37 am:

One of my worst decisions ever was buying an HP laptop to take traveling. Windows and I never got along. I don't think I ever took a trip where it didn't betray me in some way. I was never smart enough to figure it out. Finally I sold it for a hundred bucks and spent $200 for a used Macbook Pro off eBay, one of my best decisions ever. No more Windows of any kind for me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Saturday, August 08, 2015 - 07:30 am:

Ditto that Steve! My only regret was that it took me three windows replacement computers over the years to finally follow through with my threat to get a "real computer" as my late friend used to refer to them, that being of course the MAC. So glad I did. Now that we're used to what few little differences there are in the O.S. of the MAC, things are a breeze. And virtually everyone I've ever talked to that owns any kind of an HP has problems. My very first printer, an HP was my first clue as to the junk that that product is!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Saturday, August 08, 2015 - 08:22 am:

I switched to an iMac years ago, never a problem or virus issue ever again.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Constantine in Australia on Saturday, August 08, 2015 - 11:35 am:

Changed to 10 from 7 yesterday. MUCH faster, and no regrets so far. You can decide on the privacy settings from the very beginning.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bud Holzschuh - Panama City, FL on Saturday, August 08, 2015 - 11:44 am:

Here is a good link to help those who didn't set up their privacy options at installation time:

https://fix10.isleaked.com/

If you don't set up your privacy options Microsoft (and others) will know the last time you wet the bed. ;o)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Anderson, central Wisconsin on Saturday, August 08, 2015 - 02:36 pm:

LOVE Win 10.
Bud is right........you can set your privacy options.
The first things I do on any computer of mine is turn off sharing and remote assistance.
Win 10 retains the REFRESH feature of Win 8 so you don't even need an installation disc any more....... :-)
The thing I like BEST about 10 is the search feature at the bottom left.
I didn't bother with some shortcuts I previously used because the search button is as easy as looking for my shortcuts.
It's easy to tell the engineers thought THIS one out very well before they released it.
Had they done as well with Win 8 I doubt there'd be a 10.......yet.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White - Sheridan, MI on Saturday, August 08, 2015 - 06:57 pm:

Well the first thing I noticed was the 30 second wait from reading a post till I was returned to the forum. Then my Username and Password were missing and had to enter them each time. There were other things I could not find, like the Games icon. Eliminated by WIN 10. I understand you can get Solitaire if you pay for it. My link to my server (with my e-mail)was missing and I had to go looking for it. Could not figure out to print a page from my bank statement. No biggie with WIN 7. WIN 10 maybe a nice change for those more experianced but other than some job training back when a 20 meg drive was the latest thing, everything I know about confuzzers has been self taught. I will eventually need to go to WIN 10 but will be better prepared.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Sunday, August 09, 2015 - 07:20 am:

I wouldn't be so quick to install W10.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2015/08/08/windows-10-forced-updates-cau sing-endless-crash-loop/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Putnam, Bluffton, Ohio on Sunday, August 09, 2015 - 08:45 am:

How do I get my windows 7 back???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bud Holzschuh - Panama City, FL on Sunday, August 09, 2015 - 10:32 am:

Here ya go Jack ....

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2960692/windows/how-to-uninstall-windows-10-and-g o-back-to-windows-7-or-8.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Constantine in Australia on Sunday, August 09, 2015 - 02:22 pm:

For those with 10 check out the "Calculator" app. It has a useful converter for just about everything you can think of.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Stitt-Southern Oregon on Sunday, August 16, 2015 - 11:57 am:

It's kinda like cars, don't be to quick to buy a new model.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Aldrich Orting Wa on Sunday, August 16, 2015 - 12:28 pm:

I upgraded and then after a couple of hours with it went back to WIN 7.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Patterson. Moruya, NSW, OZ on Sunday, August 16, 2015 - 05:42 pm:

After being convinced to do so by my computer genius son, I too downloaded WX.
I didn't like it for several reasons and after a week, changed back to W7. I'm happy now.
Cheers,
Rob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Sunday, August 16, 2015 - 06:12 pm:

A new Windows system is like fine old cheese. You have to leave it alone for a while then let everyone else try it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Putnam, Bluffton, Ohio on Monday, August 17, 2015 - 12:10 pm:

Well I danced with the new comer, pretty, but it didn't cut the mustard. Couldn't get along with my apps. Went back to windows 7, sent W10 back to where it came from. Best to dance with the one you brought to the dance!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Monday, August 17, 2015 - 02:23 pm:

one word "LINUX"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Saylor, Citrus Heights, Ca on Monday, August 17, 2015 - 04:40 pm:

W10 is free now. Might want to save the install files on a dvd or flash drive. You can also set up a dual boot thereby having both. That way you can play with 10 and keep it updated as the patches come out. Just do a search on "Dual Boot Windows 7 and 10.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eugene Adams on Monday, August 31, 2015 - 11:56 pm:

Our daughter downloaded the trial version of Windows 10 offered by Microsoft to her laptop with Windows 8.
It locked up her computer and she had to take it to the Best Buy computer geeks squad. She has a membership with them.
They said they were seeing several problems coming in concerning Windows 10.
With other work they have lined up they said it might take 4 to 5 days to get to hers.

I believe we have up to year to update to Windows 10. Computer guru Kim Komando suggests waiting a while to download it because Microsoft will (in time) have corrected several problems by then.

Here are some Q&A tips.
http://www.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/windows-10-faq

Confusing isnít it?
More confusion at
http://nortonsafe.search.ask.com/web?geo=&prt=&o=&chn=&ver=&tpr=5&q=How+to+reser ve+your+free+copy+of+Windows+10&ots=1441079061222

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, September 01, 2015 - 12:02 am:

Or you can save yourself all that grief and get a Mac. :-)

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration