Clutch Disk Drum Removal?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Clutch Disk Drum Removal?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Kelly Montana on Friday, August 07, 2015 - 11:02 pm:

I can't get the clutch disk drum off of my 26 transmission. I have a good quality puller on it but don't want to distort or break it getting it off. Any advice or tricks? It's really tight. PK

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Milton,WA on Friday, August 07, 2015 - 11:18 pm:

Usually a bit of localized heat near the center of the drum & where the Woodruff key is will assist in popping it loose. When you stated "I have a good quality puller on it" - is it a Ford Z puller, Stevens or equivalent ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Kelly Montana on Friday, August 07, 2015 - 11:58 pm:

Steve, it's a Snap-On. I was worried about putting heat on it. I'll give it a try in the morning. PK

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Art Taylor, WA on Saturday, August 08, 2015 - 02:30 am:

Use a puller and large hammer on the back end.drum pullerdrum disc

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould, Folsom, CA on Saturday, August 08, 2015 - 01:44 pm:

Langs sells or at least used to sell a puller for the disc drum. It works very well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Barrett in Auburn Ca. on Saturday, August 08, 2015 - 03:13 pm:

The puller Richard refers to is far superior to any of the original tools, so much easier to use. A bargain at twice the price asked.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anthonie Boer---- Klaaswaal NL on Saturday, August 08, 2015 - 03:34 pm:

I use this one,with two bolts you have double the [ power].
Toon
723R

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Wilson - Omaha NE on Saturday, August 08, 2015 - 05:47 pm:

We used a set up very similar to Art's. and the fool drum was so tight it straightened the J hooks we were using. Maybe we did not use a large enough diameter hook, or enough heat. Patience and a lot of messing with it got it off.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Barrett in Auburn Ca. on Saturday, August 08, 2015 - 06:01 pm:

Localized heat will help. It's good news that the hub is tight. It's supposed to be. If it comes off easy, the hub, shaft, or both are worn and that will be the subject of another thread.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Saturday, August 08, 2015 - 06:28 pm:

Is this the correct tool?

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/3487/550976.jpg

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Saturday, August 08, 2015 - 07:02 pm:

Yes, that is the Ford clutch drum (or hub) puller.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Milton,WA on Saturday, August 08, 2015 - 07:15 pm:

The Stevens puller is superior by far to the Ford puller.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Kelly Montana on Saturday, August 08, 2015 - 07:46 pm:

Here's the set up I'm using. I had to work on my TT today so I'll get on the drum this evening. I guess I need more heat but it still worries me in here. PK

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration