Sure mike crankshaft

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Sure mike crankshaft
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jan brinkman jr on Saturday, August 08, 2015 - 10:13 am:

I got a sure mike crank off of ebay last week . It is standard and seems to be in good condition.it is countr ballenced with stock stroke. Has anyone had experience with one ?
Thanks jan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Saturday, August 08, 2015 - 10:26 am:

I have heard good and bad. Some say they are OK others say they break easily. They have a nickname of "SureBrake" I have one and Im going to try it in an engine Ill build myself. In my personal opinion (for what little it is worth), I would not use one in an engine a person was having professionally rebuilt, and paying a lot of money to have built, But in my case I can build one fairly cheap and just "give it a try". Let us know how it works out for you if you use it ... Submitted with respect, Donnie Brown ...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Saturday, August 08, 2015 - 10:44 am:

I'm curious too as I have all cleaned up at .010 to try

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, August 08, 2015 - 11:21 am:

I sent a note to the seller suggesting for the starting price it should have been checked for cracks. I would suggest to you the same thing, have it checked for cracks before proceeding with any work on it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By joe bell on Saturday, August 08, 2015 - 11:29 am:

I have seen two different styles of the suremike one is a lot beefier then the other. I have installed two of them magged them before installation one did break at a later date but the nylon timing gear was shreaded so did the gear let go first or the crank? I did do a metalurgy or spectrometer on it and the material it was made of was fairly hard stuff compared to the flexing a T crank goes through? Hope this helps?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas Elliott on Saturday, August 08, 2015 - 12:50 pm:

I would not install another sure mike crank if I were paid. The one I had in my engine broke after about four years of running. I completely destroyed the engine, taking out the rear main. Use it for concrete reinforcement.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Saturday, August 08, 2015 - 01:20 pm:

My question is,even if it's a counter balanced crank did people install them as is or were they balanced?? Bud in Wheeler,Mi.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Saturday, August 08, 2015 - 01:29 pm:

For my last engine rebuild, I had my 1926 crankshaft spin balanced with the flywheel attached and this engine runs much smoother with very little vibration.

Perhaps that is the way to go.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, August 08, 2015 - 01:46 pm:

These came out in the 20's, what's balancing? Most were bought, installed and driven. There were, I am sure, some that might have but I bet that number was far fewer then the ones just installed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Saturday, August 08, 2015 - 03:07 pm:

Nope,I think my words did not match my thinking as i thought of the first 3 posters and TE.Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ralph Fitz-Gerald on Saturday, August 08, 2015 - 08:37 pm:

I have one in my father car, it be there since the late 1950. My Dad found it in a scrap block in a Saginaw junk yard.
Fitz

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Saturday, August 08, 2015 - 08:48 pm:

I've got one in the heaviest T made, a four door sedan. Haven't driven it much, but other mods are Stipe .280 and Model B intake and exhaust. I do not plan on driving or pushing the car to its limit, so I'll see how long it holds up. I bought it around 2000 before repro counter balanced cranks were available.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Saturday, August 08, 2015 - 09:16 pm:

I used to work in Saginaw at a Chevy plant that started in 1907 as the Rainer plant.I have seen that the Sure Mike factory was on Niagra St and Rifken Scrap was at the same adress years later!We were in Dawson City in the Yukon at a turist trap and they had a 1913 Marquette also built in Saginaw,Mi. Bud 25 miles west in Wheeler.PS,If i remember it was Dan Trease who gave the info on the Sure Mike Crankshaft?? Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Noel D. Chicoine, MD, Pierre, SD on Saturday, August 08, 2015 - 11:00 pm:

I have one in the 26 Coupe I purchased several years ago. Due to a faulty Ruckstell, I haven't driven it near as much as the 23 touring. That said, the engine seems to have lots less vibration than my 23 with a stock crank and the car revs to a higher top end than the 23 on the flat. I have no idea on how many miles it has on it or what, but I'll keep it in the car until it breaks. I'm currently fixing the Ruckstell so plan on using the coupe as my "foul weather" car. BTW, one of Les's output shafts is on it now so maybe it will never break!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Sunday, August 09, 2015 - 09:05 am:

Joe, the one that broke, was it the thinner style?
I've read about another difference between early and late Suremikes - smaller radii at the end of the bearing surfaces on the earlier ones. Don't know if it's correct, I would just stay away from all of them. Likely the metallurgy wasn't as good as Ford's - especially not as good as the later Ford EE cranks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jan brinkman jr on Sunday, August 09, 2015 - 10:12 am:

Thanks for all the input . I Will probably put it in my doodle bug and use it at the tractor shows to get around..
Jan

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration