1926 Coupe- how to attach Shade?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: 1926 Coupe- how to attach Shade?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Chochole, Oswego, IL on Saturday, August 08, 2015 - 01:40 pm:

This question is for '26-'27 Coupe owners; all of my interior panels are in the car and I am thinking about adding the back-window shade.

How does it attach? Is there wood on each side of the rear window or do I need to locate threaded holes?

Thanks,
Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Saturday, August 08, 2015 - 02:34 pm:

Threaded holes on this '26 Coupe.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Leon Parker - Benton, Kentucky on Saturday, August 08, 2015 - 03:24 pm:

Jim
Some of the coupes have a wood frame around the rear window and quarter windows. I think the one you have has the metal frame work. The 26 we restored had the metal header like yours. I will try to get the other pictures out to you. Had some problems getting them out to you the other day.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alby Anderson on Saturday, August 08, 2015 - 06:05 pm:

Attached are pictures of the wood framing around the rear window in my 27. I am not sure if it is original.
27 rear window wood frame
27 rear window close up

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Chochole, Oswego, IL on Saturday, August 08, 2015 - 11:29 pm:

I think Leon is correct- so a metal framework would mean I have to locate the 4 shade bracket holes perfectly to get it mounted?

Thanks,
Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Sunday, August 09, 2015 - 06:12 am:

I used a heavy duty sewing needle to locate the mounts after the upholstery panel was fitted. It worked well and left no tell tale signs.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Chochole, Oswego, IL on Sunday, August 09, 2015 - 11:31 am:

Does anyone have an image of the bare metal framework pre-panel installation? This would give me an idea of where to begin poking around.

Thanks,
Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alby Anderson on Sunday, August 09, 2015 - 12:03 pm:

Jim and Don.

Could you post a close up of the window frame and the piece that connects the quarter panel side window section to the windshield post. It appears that it has been finished somehow. Mine is simply bolted together. Was Ford able to use the type of steel that would be required to stamp those weight saving holes.

Alby

Top to Front Post

side window frame

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alby Anderson on Sunday, August 09, 2015 - 12:10 pm:

I found this thread that shows booth styles.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/257047/298544.html?1342070005

Alby

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Chochole, Oswego, IL on Sunday, August 09, 2015 - 12:53 pm:

Yes, it does show both styles but the metal-version, the one I have, isn't pictured close enough to show the positioning of the threaded shade holes.
I can just start poking around wildly but I hate to ruin finished interior woolen panels if I am not sure I am close.

Thanks,
Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Sunday, August 09, 2015 - 02:20 pm:

This is the best I can come up with. By using a sewing needle to find the holes it will not show any disturbance in the material.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Sunday, August 09, 2015 - 02:26 pm:

Jim, Here's a thought for you to get close to where the shade holes should be. Put 3" wide masking tape on each side of the upper window where the shade should be mounted. Hold the shade with the brackets attached and take a pencil and mark where the bracket holes are on the tape. That will give you the proper width so now all you have to do is adjust how high it should be. Looking at most photos the shade is even with the top of the window. That should get you close enough to poke around with a needle.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Sunday, August 09, 2015 - 02:53 pm:

Alby, I look at the first picture and wonder if someone did some bending on the top post frame? That isn't at all how this '26 looked. Here is the top wood post bracket on this coupe. It is located on the inside door top corner near the post. Hope this helps...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Chochole, Oswego, IL on Sunday, August 09, 2015 - 03:04 pm:

Thanks Don, your close-up should do the trick! Much appreciated.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Leon Parker - Benton, Kentucky on Sunday, August 09, 2015 - 05:32 pm:

Jim did you get the new batch of pictures I sent out?
There may be a picture of the rear window. Leon

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Chochole, Oswego, IL on Sunday, August 09, 2015 - 06:49 pm:

Leon- yes, thank you very much for that batch of pics. Unfortunately none were that close with the rear window assembly that I could see where the ball sweat it was fascinating, thank you again.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration