Friction Shocks

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Friction Shocks
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Wilson - Omaha NE on Saturday, August 08, 2015 - 03:28 pm:

I wanted to add shocks to my T. There are some asphalt (and concrete) sections of road around here that at 30 to 35 MPH they just set the car off like a bucking bronco, and I have to slow down to make it stop. Speed bumps are a real pain also. My 21 touring has a fully rebuilt suspension, all new bushings and wear parts. The 27 parts car I robbed the drive train from came with near new replacement springs. So the issue did not come from a sloppy suspension.
I found these on line, they were only $33.00 delivered when I bought them last year.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/FRICTION-SHOCKS-t-bucket-hot-rat-rod-23-roadster-32-/330833610263?hash=item4d07384617&vxp=mtr.
I have had the front shocks done for some time, I knew they were working, as the front of the car had tamed down, while the rear of the car still bounced. I spaced the front ones of the frame with a 2" square block of Oak painted black. My lower mounts to the axle are shackle plates from Speedway motors for $10 a pair, and $10 shipping. I ground them down to fit, and had to enlarge the holes some to fit, but you could also weld an ear to the stock shackle. I used brake clevises, and threaded the ends of 5/16" rod bent to line up the clevises.
In the rear I used some angle brackets I picked up at the home store, and made axle mounts from some angle iron bolted to the radius rod mounts.
They make a tremendous difference in how the car rides, and responds to the road, and as a bonus, they have cut down on the rattles.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Wilson - Omaha NE on Saturday, August 08, 2015 - 03:30 pm:

I was learning what size to use in resizing the pictures, hence the difference in sizes

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Saturday, August 08, 2015 - 04:00 pm:

Neat setup, almost invisible except for the linkage rods.

I've been very happy with my rebound straps, made from the heaviest leather belts I could find at Walmart:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/411944/476153.html?1414200046#MB

:-)

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration