New Top

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: New Top
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Elliott on Saturday, August 08, 2015 - 05:07 pm:

Just finished installing a new top from Classtique Upholstery and I am very happy with it! The only negative comment is the instructions are a little vague, but I called Mike at least ten different times and he was always happy to answer my questions and walk me through my sticking point. He even admitted that the instructions need some tweaking, but other than that I would highly recommend Classtique for anyone interested in purchasing a new top for their T!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Saturday, August 08, 2015 - 05:16 pm:

Looks awesome!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Benjamin on Saturday, August 08, 2015 - 06:49 pm:

Nice job!

I did mine last summer, also with a Classtique kit, and was very happy with it.

The folks at Classtique were helpful, as were the good people on this forum.

Cheers!

Rick Benjamin

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Elliott on Saturday, August 08, 2015 - 07:32 pm:

I totally agree - Mike (who I think is the new owner) was always ready to talk me through a sticky spot. Yesterday, I must have called him eight times within an hour, and he was always cheerful and helpful; great customer service and a great top!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Saturday, August 08, 2015 - 07:33 pm:

Looks great. I am trying to install my windbreaker on the front bow and it sags. How did you get yours nice and tight? Thank you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Elliott on Saturday, August 08, 2015 - 07:43 pm:

Dave, if you look closely, there is no windbreaker! Believe me, I tried and tried to get that darn thing to tighten up but no matter what, it just sagged. So I figured if Henry didn't install them, I wouldn't either (at least I don't think they were installed at the factory).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Matheny on Saturday, August 08, 2015 - 08:47 pm:

Looks good Bill, hope mine turns out that nice when I get it done. One thing I noticed about the car sitting there on the concrete, it must not have an engine in it, no leaks, that just isn't right.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Matheny on Saturday, August 08, 2015 - 08:51 pm:

Looks good Bill, hope mine turns out that nice when I get it done. One thing I noticed about the car sitting there on the concrete, it must not have an engine in it, no leaks, that just isn't right.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard A Eddinger Sacrament Ca on Saturday, August 08, 2015 - 09:06 pm:

Bill
What was your bad experiences with the instructions? My 1 man top for my 23 touring should be here from the same place next week and it would be nice what to expect.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Elliott on Saturday, August 08, 2015 - 09:26 pm:

The instructions were just a little vague and only had two illustrations. There were also some things stated that no longer applied. It was no big deal, but I had to call Mike to clarify what was said. I actually got a set of instructions from the Cartouche one man top, and it was VERY detailed. So between the two instructions, I was able to put it all together.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Saturday, August 08, 2015 - 09:30 pm:

Bill. Thank you for letting me know you gave up on the windbreaker. I found an earlier post where Erik said a 1920 does not have a windbreaker. Cartouche instructions make it sound easy, but it isn't.

Hey, at least I tried, but it just does not look right.

My top will hang over the windshield anyway, so that should be good enough. I also see where another T owner kept one of those swimming pool tubes in his car to stick between the top and windshield in case it rains. I think that will be my solution too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Sunday, August 09, 2015 - 12:17 am:

Bill -- Does this mean that you'll now be neglecting your '15? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Sunday, August 09, 2015 - 09:01 pm:

In looking at the pictures of Bill's top I notice that his front bow is completely above the windshield when his top is up. I see the same thing in the pictures of Model T's on the New London to New Brighton run.

On my car, the front bow hangs over the windshield in such a way that the top of the bow is the same height as the top of the windshield. This is without the new top in place.

Does that mean that I need to raise the height of the top bow a bit higher? What is correct for a 1919 auto?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Monday, August 10, 2015 - 12:58 am:

Looks good, but I would have pulled the top material tighter. Sometimes you have to redo it several times until you get it right. Mike makes nice tops.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Elliott on Monday, August 10, 2015 - 08:05 am:

I did end up pulling the top a little tighter after it sat in the hot sun for a while. I tightened the front straps (there was some play there) one hole and it snugged everything right up! It also pulled the front bow down over the front windshield top a little better so there's less opening.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Elliott on Monday, August 10, 2015 - 09:23 am:

Here are some updated photos of my top after I tightened it up a bit.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Monday, August 10, 2015 - 09:50 am:

Beautiful car and a beautiful top installation! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Elliott on Monday, August 10, 2015 - 12:16 pm:

Thanks for the compliments, Mark! By the way, Mike and anyone else interested, unfortunately, due to financial circumstances (I'm broke!) my beautiful 1916 Touring will be looking for a new home and caretaker soon. So if you're interested, send me a pm and I can give you more details :-(

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Monday, August 10, 2015 - 04:07 pm:

Very nice, indeed! _If my drag-chute looked as good as yours, I wouldn't keep it folded up in the boot all the time!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Monday, August 10, 2015 - 08:02 pm:

Looks great Bill. Thank you for the pictures.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration