Carb help

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Carb help
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim williams Baldwinsville NY. on Saturday, August 08, 2015 - 08:19 pm:

Hi I found this N H straight thru carb. The bowl has a hole
Rusted thru it that can be brazed
but the bowl nut center
Drain Assy is busted there were just enough threads
Left to hold the bowl nut but the drain part is broken off
Anyone know where that Assy. Can be found it is different
Than the newer center drains because the carb body
Does not slots in the bottom where the drain screws in
Like the newer ones.
Any help thanks Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bud Holzschuh - Panama City, FL on Saturday, August 08, 2015 - 08:29 pm:

There is an easy way to fix a rusted through bowl if the top edge is OK.

Put masking tape over the rusted through sections on the outside of the bowl. Then go inside and spread a generous layer of JB Weld over the rusted through areas and up about 1/4" on good (non rusted) area.

Let dry 24 hrs and peal off masking tape. Sand outside of the bowl to original contours. Paint.

I did this on a Kingston L4 bowl that has so much rust through it looked like lace. Ran it for 3 yrs without so much as a weep.

If you have more time than money, its an easy permanent fix.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, August 08, 2015 - 10:42 pm:

Get a bowl for a side drain NH that will solve both issues.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Todd, ............Red Deer, Alberta on Sunday, August 09, 2015 - 10:48 am:

FWIW, "modern" gas w/ethanol will slowly eat JB weld.
Don't ask how I know.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bud Holzschuh - Panama City, FL on Sunday, August 09, 2015 - 01:19 pm:

Ken

Maybe so, but it hasn't in 3 years and all I use is E10. ;o)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Todd, ............Red Deer, Alberta on Monday, August 10, 2015 - 10:40 am:

The problem I had w/JB weld and crap gas was about 5 or 8 year ago. Maybe JB have changed their formula?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould, Folsom, CA on Monday, August 10, 2015 - 03:34 pm:

What happens with JB Weld submerged in gas is that it gets soft, like putty.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Monday, August 10, 2015 - 04:52 pm:

What's wrong with getting a good bowl and throwing the bad one away?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marty Bufalini - Grosse Pointe, MI on Monday, August 10, 2015 - 06:57 pm:

Hey, Bud! Will the JB weld trick work on a kerosene lamp reservoir on my 1914?

Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Tuesday, August 11, 2015 - 09:18 am:

Marty - try :-)
If it doesen't work, you'll have to grind and weld, but it's worth a try.. Just get it well cleaned out first before applying epoxi.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Tuesday, August 11, 2015 - 10:24 am:

Marty,

Unless you put the JB on the outside of the font, which will look terrible, how would you apply it internally?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, August 11, 2015 - 10:56 am:

JB Weld costs about six bucks. A new bowl costs eight. Why not just spend $2 more for a new bowl?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Tuesday, August 11, 2015 - 11:23 am:

Steve,

THANK YOU!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marty Bufalini - Grosse Pointe, MI on Tuesday, August 11, 2015 - 11:42 am:

Steve,where do you get a new brass top/steel bottom bowl for eight dollars?? The one's I've seen are a LOT more than that.

Jerry, I'd find a way!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Tuesday, August 11, 2015 - 11:45 am:

Where can Marty find a 1914 side or tail lamp font for $8? Lang's wants $189 for their 1909-14 E&J repro: https://www.modeltford.com/item/SL-F2.aspx

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Tuesday, August 11, 2015 - 01:21 pm:

The thread is about carburetor bowls.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Tuesday, August 11, 2015 - 01:27 pm:

Threads tends to evolve into more than one subject, thus the confusion :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Tuesday, August 11, 2015 - 01:30 pm:

Yup...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim williams Baldwinsville NY. on Thursday, August 13, 2015 - 03:37 pm:

I think Mark had the best solution and I have an extra one.
I have another question what is the thread size it doesn't
Look like pipe thread but it is fine I think.
Thanks Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Thursday, August 13, 2015 - 04:00 pm:

Is this what you need?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Thursday, August 13, 2015 - 04:10 pm:

The thread is 3/4 -#24 If memory serves.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim williams Baldwinsville NY. on Thursday, August 13, 2015 - 08:38 pm:

I have the bowl. And nut Assy. I guess I should have said
I need the thread size because I need to chase out the
Threads in the carb body.sorry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Thursday, August 13, 2015 - 08:49 pm:

Your memory does not serve you well, Unca Jack. The thread is 9/16 - 24.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bud Holzschuh - Panama City, FL on Friday, August 14, 2015 - 08:55 am:

The carb bowl I repaired was a a Kingston L4 and at the time I think the bowl wasn't available or maybe more expensive ?

At any rate the JB weld was sitting there and the whole repair didn't take 15 minutes (less drying time).

Its just one more repair technique useful to know and works well. JB weld is great stuff IF you use it within its limits. It won't fix everything. ;o)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Friday, August 14, 2015 - 09:31 am:

You're right Stan,but that's not the only thing I've forgotten.It isn't fun getting old.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Friday, August 14, 2015 - 10:01 am:

It is tough to get old but it beats the alternative!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Friday, August 14, 2015 - 12:14 pm:

Old age ain't for sissies.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration