Should New Seat Springs be Painted?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Should New Seat Springs be Painted?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas Mullin on Saturday, August 08, 2015 - 10:25 pm:

The seat springs and upholstery on my car are showing their age, so I'm replacing them.

Should I paint the springs before installing the upholstery? If so, spray can paint, powder coat, or ? I am assuming any paint would be black on a 1916 car.

Any secrets to getting the seat cushion and seat back upholstery kits on correctly and neatly?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Zibell, Huntsville, AL on Saturday, August 08, 2015 - 10:30 pm:

I don't know if painted originally, but if you want them to last, a good coat of paint wouldn't hurt. When I did the upholstery on my 26 Tudor, the springs were in useable condition but a bit rusty. I painted them and used them. In the Tudor, the springs aren't visible once covered so I figured it didn't matter.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, August 08, 2015 - 11:23 pm:

Seems to me the springs come painted, or at least the one I got was.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Sunday, August 09, 2015 - 02:18 am:

Thomas-
As mark says, the springs should come painted. For 1916 there should be an open channel on the bottom of the spring. The bottom edge of the cushion should have a cord sewn into it. This corded bottom edge is crimped into the channel. I got a pair of duck-bill pliers from Harbor Freight to do the job. I believe you start in the front center, then work your way around the back. If there is a lot gathering to do, maybe do it in the back corners, and or space it out along the back. I hope this helps.

: ^ )

-Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Sunday, August 09, 2015 - 02:28 pm:

The last springs I got came unpainted. Seems like EPA was a problem. Previous springs had been dip-painted in a thin wash I believe. John is right in saying it will help the longevity of them. I have heard that the heat treatment for making a spring does not go deep so rust will cause it to loose some of it's spring.

Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Monday, August 10, 2015 - 12:55 am:

The late springs did have a channel to drop the skirt into. I'm working on a '13 now. What a chore!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Monday, August 10, 2015 - 07:00 am:

That's good to hear. It's better that they now come unpainted. The paint used on the new ones before was some kind of cheap paint mixed with sheep dip or something. It would flake off if you looked at it twice.

They are tough to paint but do paint them.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration