Trans Band Inspection Cover

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Trans Band Inspection Cover
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Sunday, August 09, 2015 - 12:22 am:

As far as I know, the 26-27 band inspection cover didn't have a built in breather. I have a cover that I took off my Grandfather's 27 coupe that has a built in breather with a baffle on the inside to keep oil from escaping. Is a baffle needed there? Will it serve any purpose to use it? I'm restoring the car for sentimental reasons, but not planning on entering the car in judging.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alan George Long on Sunday, August 09, 2015 - 06:55 am:

That's a new one on me Terry and sounds like another potential oil leak area. For me, fit a standard blank cover with a filter / strainer under it.
Alan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Sunday, August 09, 2015 - 07:30 am:

The Model T engine has an open-air breather system. There's no need for additional vents.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Sunday, August 09, 2015 - 12:11 pm:

I meant to ask, is a breather needed there, not a baffle, but Ken cleared that up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Sunday, August 09, 2015 - 02:49 pm:

Sounds like an odd accessory? There were accessory oilers made much like you describe, Ford Faithful and others - but they had a oil line that was connected to the front of the oil pan. Without a line they had to be plugged so they wouldn't spill all the engine oil as soon as the engine was started..

Accessory

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marvin C. Miller on Sunday, August 09, 2015 - 03:11 pm:

The cover says Faithful Ford Oil System. I think this oil line to the front main was disconnected. It probably isn't a different accessory.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marvin C. Miller on Sunday, August 09, 2015 - 03:14 pm:

I thought that was Terry's photo of the cover. My mistake.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Todd, ............Red Deer, Alberta on Monday, August 10, 2015 - 10:44 am:

Terry, how about a picture of that cover?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Monday, August 10, 2015 - 11:09 am:

I recall looking at the books on Ford accessories that a breather type cover was offered back in the day. Why as stated above who knows except to empty the pockets of the consumer. :-) Yes please a photo if you can.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Monday, August 10, 2015 - 11:35 am:

It may be later in the week, but I'll take and post pictures of both sides of the cover. My Granddad was poor and didn't have money to burn. that's why he drove this car up to 1951. The only other accessories that I found on the cat when restoring it the first time were a Wizard carburetor and a double sided hand wiper (having a rubber blade on the outside and a felt blade for condensation on the inside).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Monday, August 10, 2015 - 11:40 am:

I have one of those wipers on my huckster. I learned just last year that the inside wiper blade was felt.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Monday, August 10, 2015 - 05:42 pm:

Mark, Well if you're using one of the double bladed wipers on an open car, you might need a rubber blade on both sides. (grin)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Tuesday, August 11, 2015 - 11:41 pm:

Pictures of accessory band cover showing breather in the outside and band oiler on inside.Trans Band CoverTrans Band CoverTrans Band Cover

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Wednesday, August 12, 2015 - 12:19 am:

need a rubber blade on both sides, I thought it was! :-) Mine is semi enclosed with a roof so only have to wipe the water that blows up thru the partition in the windshield glass or over the top.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Wednesday, August 12, 2015 - 06:33 am:

Odd, if it breaths much at all, then it must be leaking oil too? Maybe it's a valve letting air in only, then perhaps a hose is supposed to be connected between the regular oil filling hole and the stove pipe for the carb, so vacuum from the intake sucks through the engine and creates better breathing? Would only work on pre 22 engines where the throttle hole isn't connected to the crank case.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Wednesday, August 12, 2015 - 12:23 pm:

Roger, Your scenario may be on the right track, but I doubt it. The cover is made from two pieces of metal, apparently spot welded together The inner metal piece has an inverted scoop (don't know whether it is supposed to catch oil and feed it to the bands, or whether it is supposed to drip oil over the clutch spring area), and a half circle baffle under the screened portion on the top piece. The outer cover only has a screened vent over the metal baffle on the inner piece. The outside (as well as inside) are covered in oil; the outside having collected dust, too, so it is had to say where it was leaking the most oil. The entire engine and transmission was covered with a film of oil.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Wednesday, August 12, 2015 - 08:34 pm:

Last sentence, "it is hard to say where it was leaking oil".

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration