OT - Auction soon of 1953 Ford golden jubilee tractor

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: OT - Auction soon of 1953 Ford golden jubilee tractor
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Constantine in Australia on Sunday, August 09, 2015 - 09:12 am:

http://blog.hemmings.com/index.php/2015/08/08/hemmings-find-of-the-day-1953-ford -golden-jubilee-tractor/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Sunday, August 09, 2015 - 03:49 pm:

When I was very young, my grandfather had a couple of slightly earlier Ford tractors (8N or 9N, I don't know), and one styled very much like this Golden Jubilee model. Again, I don't remember the exact year or model, but I think it was a 1954 and the new tractor of the bunch. He had about 100 acres of peaches that he "raised", and I learned to drive the tractors very early. I was driving them solo around the ranch, and even pulling trailers out of the orchards when I was six years old.
Looking at and reading the listing article sure brings back memories.
Thank you for sharing the link!
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - Melbourne Florida on Sunday, August 09, 2015 - 04:35 pm:

Where I grew up they are still using the old Fords in the fields

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Sunday, August 09, 2015 - 07:01 pm:

I have and still use the 54 Ford NAA ford tractor that my Father bought new in 55. It was a left over from the year before and he got a small discount if I remember correctly.
The 53 and 54 are essentially the same tractor. The engine in these tractors is the first overhead valve engine Ford used in tractors and was used for several years in fork trucks and other applications.

Its amazing to see these becoming antique and being advertised in Hemmings!

Here in central Texas these are still common.
Actually the 800 series which came out the next year are a better tractor since its a little bigger and stouter. They are very similar and the 'Cyclops eye' style was used from 53-64.

Most parts are still available and there is a lot of repo parts.
You can find a decent 53-54 in the $2-4000 price range without a lot of trouble.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Lyon, PDX, OR. on Sunday, August 09, 2015 - 07:24 pm:

I was repainting my'57 Ford 860 and while sanding it found Jubilee paint and graphics under the light grey that was on it. Apperantly somebody in the past had reason to change out the sheet metal, Don.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold R Carpenter - Fair Grove, MO on Sunday, August 09, 2015 - 08:41 pm:

I have 3 early ford tractors that I still use, a 2N and an 8N from 1942 and 1947. I have a 1962 Ford 4000. I do not consider them antiques, I consider them as my working tractors.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Schrope - Upland, IN on Sunday, August 09, 2015 - 09:00 pm:

.......a couple of observations. The "cyclops eye" ended in 1961 - I think. The four cylinder 2000 and 4000 were nothing buy repainted 600 and 800's. They did redo the top forward end of the hood to remove the "cyclops eye". Also, the original Jubilee's had a vane type hydraulic pump. It was troublesome, so they replaced it with the familiar piston pump that was pretty much used unchanged until 1965 and even later on the 6000's but with a different drive end. The 6000's were another story for another time. I got rid of my 6000's years ago,, but love my 641 - I do wish it had a live PTO though.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Schrope - Upland, IN on Sunday, August 09, 2015 - 09:15 pm:

another observation - the 9N's were from 1939 to 1942. The 2N's from 1942 to 1947. (The 2N's and 9N's are almost identical.) The 8N's were from 1948 to 1952. The Jubilee's were 1953 and maybe 1954. They became the 600's in 1955 and the 601's in about 1957?. The 601's came after the 600's and lasted until the four cylinder 2000's came out in about 1961. They lasted until 1964 and then the entire Ford line changed - drastically and for the better. I'm sure there was some overlapping of the models and years.

While I'm babbling on, some of you may be interested in the Ford naming of the 600 and 800's. The 641 was a four speed transmission. 651 was a five speed without the double clutch for the "live" pto. 661 was a five speed with the double clutch for the "live" pto. The 671 was a Select-O-Speed. The 681 was a Select-O-Speed with a two speed pto and 691 was a Select-O-Speed with a two speed pto and also a ground drive pto. Many of these were almost non-existant. The same applies to the 5, 6, 7, 8 and 900's. The most common and the 641 and the 861 gassers. Diesels are pretty uncommon.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Sunday, August 09, 2015 - 09:18 pm:

Fred you are right about the vane pump. I believe it was a Vickers brand pump. A farm machinery instructor who had worked at a Ford Dealership (now New Holland) told me Ford had a recall years ago on the 53-54 model tractors and replaced the vane pumps with the better piston pump. I have a pump off of a 800 Ford that I replaced the troublesome Vickers with. Somehow my Father didn't get the recall notice years ago!
My 54 doesn't have a live PTO either and I use a over-running coupler on it with the shreader.

I have some newer tractors that I use but those older Fords are good tractors and seems like they will last forever.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By HARRY A DAW Troy, Mo. on Sunday, August 09, 2015 - 10:39 pm:

Our 1950 Ford 8N had a Sherman over/under which gave it a gear range above and below straight through. Don't remember the displacement or horse power but I remember they had sleeves. When they wore out, they would get bored. When that wore out, new sleeves would be put in.as far as I know that tractor is still in use.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Monday, August 10, 2015 - 02:04 am:

Right at the moment I have: A 1940 9N, the early one with the starter button on the dash and the 8-32 tires; an NAA, 1954 -- the 54 version of the Jubilee as the Jubilee was 1953 only; a 1955 600, a 1958 801 and two 1958 861's. The 861 was the best of all the Fords of those years, 172 cubic inch four cylinder, 5 speed; live PTO + aux hydraulics and factory power steering available. Great Tractors!! I just sold an 8N and a 2000 Industrial.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Monday, August 10, 2015 - 02:07 am:

The guy that wrote the article probably knows more about these than I do but I've probably bought and sold 50 little Fords in the last 30 years plus all the ones we've had at auctions and I've never seen a Jubilee with live PTO. More research needed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Monday, August 10, 2015 - 08:13 am:

I still use my 8N, cant kill it. Many still in use in this area. They always bring a good buck when sold.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Kiefer - Adams, MN on Monday, August 10, 2015 - 09:42 am:

My 1947 2N was purchased by my uncle when it was a year or two old,then he had gotten rid of it after a few years. My dad bought it several years later not knowing it was the same tractor. It was the first tractor I drove. I bought it from my dad, put a loader on it and used it on the farm for 30 years. Now Derek has it, so I think it is going to stay in the family.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Monday, August 10, 2015 - 09:59 am:

I was at Derek's yesterday and he used the tractor while I was there. It seemed to work well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Monday, August 10, 2015 - 10:07 am:

This one is pretty rusty and ugly but it's a good old tractor.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Monday, August 10, 2015 - 10:08 am:

If you want to read my description of it in the for sale ad, follow this one: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10206608600547428&set=gm.911585645581505 &type=1&theater

It has been nominated for the best of Craigslist but so far it hasn't sold the tractor.

It came from Wisconsin, that's why it has all the rust on it. The Montana ones don't rust much.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derek Kiefer - Mantorville, MN on Monday, August 10, 2015 - 12:35 pm:

To expand on Dad's story above about the '47 2N being the first tractor he drove, it was also the first tractor I learned to drive on. Dad probably didn't know it at the time, but my older brother let me drive it out in the field picking up rocks when I was about 6 or 7.

Here is my son Cale learning to drive on it at age 7... 3rd generation to learn to drive it, and maybe the 4th generation owner one day (between him, or his younger brother)

I wish Grandpa hadn't been so cheap and would have bought a newer tractor with power-steering though... it's tough to steer with anything heavy in the bucket. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Kiefer - Adams, MN on Monday, August 10, 2015 - 12:54 pm:

Apparently Cale is the first son to get permission to drive it at a young age. When dad would leave home my brothers and I would take it out and drive it up and down the ditches (no loader on it then).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Wednesday, August 12, 2015 - 07:52 am:

Well ....

Here is an 8N I hauled about four years ago.

It is a hot rod tractor - it has a jump seat for a passenger behind the driver ... :-)

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick J. Gunter -- Sparta, Missouri, USA on Wednesday, August 12, 2015 - 08:14 pm:

My dad has owned a 1953 Ford Jubilee since the mid-1960s. He used it for skidding walnut logs out of the woods in the Missouri Ozarks--used it daily for more than 40 years. Recently, he has been taking it to tractor pulls and usually wins first-place in the antique category. When they calculate the percentage pull ratio to the weight of the tractor, the little Jubilee can out pull the much bigger tractors.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Wednesday, August 12, 2015 - 09:13 pm:

My dad found a NAA and bought it about 15 years ago and the hydraulics on it stink. I found a kit on ebay to overhaul the cylinder as a implement will fall before you can get off the tractor.That will be 1 of my winter projects.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration