OT - Gastank Cleaning

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: OT - Gastank Cleaning
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Perigo - Linton, IN on Sunday, August 09, 2015 - 11:36 am:

Although this is not about a Model T, it could happen to a T as well. The gas tank on my 1941 Chrysler was coated many years ago with one on the first gas tank sealers that was not resistant to ethanol. Now I want to clean out the old coating and reseal with the new stuff. Any ideas if there is a solvent that will dissolve the old coating?

Mike

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By keith g barrier Savannah Tn. on Sunday, August 09, 2015 - 11:46 am:

Might try methyl ethyl ketone it was used as a thinner on some of the coatings and will probably cut it loose. KGB

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Sunday, August 09, 2015 - 12:34 pm:

Caution,MEK is a liver poison,use it outside and try not to breath fumes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Sunday, August 09, 2015 - 01:36 pm:

The sure way is to cut the tank open on three sides and open it up like a sardine can.
Sandblast the inside and fold it back together and solder the places where it was cut open.
After a leak test you can seal it with the new sealer
A better way is to tin the inside of the tank when it is open. Then you won't need to use sealer.
To have that done at a radiator shop will cost more than a new tank, if one is available.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - Melbourne Florida on Sunday, August 09, 2015 - 01:59 pm:

New tanks are widely available for that car. Might be the better way to go. I bought a new tank for my 49 Plymouth from Kanter.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Sunday, August 09, 2015 - 02:15 pm:

I just cleaned 2 tanks with 30 year old sealer last week. I used a gallon of lacquer thinner. Soaking and turning dissolves some of it into a syrupy fluid which I strain through coffee filters for reuse. What remains in the tank sort of sets up and I can re-seal it with the Ethanol/alcohol proof sealer. I have had to re-seal 3 tanks over the last several years this way and have had good results from this process. I'm sure there are better methods but this has worked for me.

Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Perigo - Linton, IN on Monday, August 10, 2015 - 11:18 am:

I really appreciate all the responses! I did find new tank from Kanter for 300.00. My tank is in very good shape otherwise, so I will try to clean it up first using your suggestions. Although I will try to stay away from MEK as per Jack. Could let my buddy Keith try it; his liver is probably shot already:-)

Mike

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Monday, August 10, 2015 - 11:45 am:

I may be having a little brain slippage here, but years ago couldn't you get a tank "beaded"? I seem to recall that you could take a tank that needed cleaning to a shop and they'd put some beads (probably pea gravel) in it then put it on a machine that would spin it for a long time, sort of like a rock polisher. It would cleaning it to new condition inside.

I never had this done, but it seems to me that some guys I knew did....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Monday, August 10, 2015 - 11:58 am:

I think I would spring for a new tank.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration