Oil slinger question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Oil slinger question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - Melbourne Florida on Sunday, August 09, 2015 - 01:45 pm:

As mentioned in another post I'm temporarily removing the mag in my 19. I want to install some oil slingers. I dont like the idea that the starter ring bolts do not go clear through. Is there any reason that I can't use longer bolts to thread through the starter ring and put lock nuts on the starter ring side?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Sunday, August 09, 2015 - 01:57 pm:

Letting the bolts go through just a little past the ring gear and riveting the ends was the Ford way to lock them in place.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Barrett in Auburn Ca. on Sunday, August 09, 2015 - 02:04 pm:

Originally the ends of the screws were staked to lock them in. There is no reason you can't put bolts all the way through the ring gear but be aware that you will have to run a tap through the holes as they are not a common thread size. 1/4"-28 is what I have used.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John McGinnis in San Jose area, CA. on Sunday, August 09, 2015 - 02:57 pm:

I know you are removing the mag, but why remove the magnets as I think you are doing. Just remove the coil to prevent the interference. Then you don't need slingers.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By JohnH on Sunday, August 09, 2015 - 09:49 pm:

The nuts hit something when I tried doing this - I think it was the sides of the engine pan. I'd used Nyloc nuts. As it was a few years ago I can't exactly remember but I had to take all the nuts off and shorten the bolts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Chaffin......Corona, CA on Sunday, August 09, 2015 - 11:16 pm:

I just removed a rebuilt engine from a 26 Roadster because someone put lock nuts on the backside of the ring gear which caused the bendix to hang up. Not recommended. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By JohnH on Monday, August 10, 2015 - 12:16 am:

Mark, yes that's what it was - the Bendix.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Kelly Montana on Tuesday, August 11, 2015 - 10:57 am:

Is Thread-Locker enough to safely hold the bolts? Could you leave four magnets as slingers and remove the rest? PK

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Tuesday, August 11, 2015 - 11:12 am:

Loctite might be enough, but staking feels better :-)

Magnets should be fitted all or none, the keepers needs support from magnets on both sides to function = magnets all around.

With properly designed slingers, four is enough.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - Melbourne Florida on Tuesday, August 11, 2015 - 03:37 pm:

I used the red thread lock. Anytime Iv ever used the red thread lock I've broken the bolts before they come off. Id rather replace a starter ring than an entire engine if one of those bolt ever worked its way out and into the triple gears.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration